GO!

husky too small?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mochi

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 4:06pm PST 
So I've been told by several people that my Siberian Husky unusually small for its breed, which got me a bit concerned or I could just be paranoid. About how big should a Siberian Husky be when it hits 1 years old?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 4:11pm PST 
A lot of huskies out there nowadays are WAY too big and everyone thinks that they are supposed to be big dogs. They aren't, they are medium dogs. An adult Husky can be from 35 to 60 pounds, normally something in between. How much does your pup weigh? As long as he isn't super bony I wouldn't let what other people say bother me.
[notify]
Fenrir

Veni Vidi Nom

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 4:39pm PST 
Ditto what Conker said. Sibs aren't supposed to be large dogs. Unfortunately we live in a society of extremes so many dogs are bred to be either as small as possible or as large as possible and now people think that's how it's supposed to be. If you think he looks fine, then he probably is. He looks pretty normal in your pictures.
[notify]

Mochi

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 7:14pm PST 
Ok then I can relax a little. Mochi is about 40lbs..? And he turns 1 years old in August.
[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 7:28pm PST 
Glacier is about 48lbs and we were told he must have been the runt of the litter because he's small. Riiight...

Then a guy hubby works with has some freak of nature 100lb husky.

The other huskies we hang out with are actually smaller and lighter looking than Glacier, almost look like standard size Klee Kais to me.

I'd say yours is right on the mark.
[notify]
Fenrir

Veni Vidi Nom

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 7:41pm PST 
40 lbs sounds fine. Plus he'll probably fill out a little more since he's still a pup.
[notify]
Rocket

Rocket Dog!

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 8:28pm PST 
When you read the breed standard, it says that females can be 35-55 pounds, and males 45-50, so I think your pup is fine. smile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Husky)

And I agree, pure-bred huskies are A LOT smaller than a lot of people think they actually are. A lot of people ask if Rocket is full husky, but its obvious he isn't because he is very tall (he is mixed with GSD). His size is a dead give away that he isn't full husky, and he's only 55 pounds. And at a year old I would say he'll definitely still grow a bit.

Edited by author Thu Jul 7, '11 8:31pm PST

[notify]
Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Thu Jul 7, '11 10:05pm PST 
I bet the people who are making the comment that your pup is too small for a husky may be confusing a Siberian with a Malamute. I have heard that at the clinic quite often especially when clients think that Malamute's are huge Sibs. I think your pup is just right.
[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 7:04am PST 
You're right Kayak. Nobody here knows what a Mal is, so most people just think Tanuk is a mega huge husky.
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 7:56am PST 
Their size is a common misconception with huskies, just like everyone else has said.

Chloe is a husky mix, not purebred, but still everyone thinks she is just a puppy, when people guess her age they say 6-8 months, and she's 4 years old. Chloe weighs about 45 lbs. shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3