GO!

Wolfdog Obesity: Losing 20 pounds

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Koda

Don't stop- petting me!!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 11:50am PST 
I am a 2 year old 80% timberwolf/ 20%Malamute cross. My previous owner fed me Beneful, advised by my vet, and my new owner switched me over to taste of the wild high prairie. Currently, I'm being fed 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 cup at night. I need to lose approx 20 pounds. I weigh 104 pounds and my ideal weight is 80-85 pounds. My new owner walks me two miles a day as well.

Can anyone give me some advice to help her lose all the weight? 20 Pounds is quite a lot to lose for a dog. I want to use this thread also as a place to track her progress. smile Thanks everyone!happy dance
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 11:55am PST 
If Koda enjoys swimming, that's a great weight loss exercise. It will help keep her cool and it's easy on the joints, which is very helpful for such a large dog.

Kudos to you for helping her get healthier!dog
[notify]
Pippin-CGC-R- IP Sweet Boy

Gone Far Too- Soon

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 1:03pm PST 
You got some good replies in the Answers section of Dogster...I'd just decrease the food your dog is on & exercise him more...But you said your dog was 95% Timber Wolf & 5% Malamute.confused
http://www.dogster.com/answers/question/my_wolf_dog_ne eds_to%20_lose_20_pounds-48930
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 5:19pm PST 
I weigh 70 pounds and eat .75 of a cup of TOTW twice a day. If I were you, I would cut back to 1 cup twice a day, maybe even .75 of a cup. You can always eat more if you start getting too thin.

Umm, you have to remember TOTW and other good foods have more calories and nutrition then supermarket junk foods.
[notify]
Koda

Don't stop- petting me!!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 5:31pm PST 
lol I just took what the guy said over the phone. In his actual "ad" it said 80%/20% mal. I just didn't check the numbers on his ad... He's a little senile, sooo... yeah.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 12:27pm PST 
Well, to compare, she looks just like Tanuk and his father, and Tanuk has zero wolf in him.

Anywho, 3 cups a day is a bit steep for her on TOTW. That's how much Tanuk eats (plus treats and such), but he is very trim and does agility, swimming, running, hiking, etc. I'd cut her down to two cups and only give carrots and sweet potatoes as treats. Cut out anything else.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 10:36am PST 
Your dog looks a little woolfy. I doubt the dog is high content.

What are you feeding? A lot of dogs get fat on the typical super market foods like purina and pedigree. These foods are full of simple carbs from corn. These foods are mostly corn and inferior wastes from other industries. Wolf mixes will do a lot better on a higher protein dog food.

Diet dog food should be avoided, it's mostly more fillers. Feed less and exercise more. Consider the quality of food you are feeding. Dogs and not just wolf hybrids are healthier on good dog food. Dog food ingredients are listed in order of prevalence. Avoid all dog food that lists corn first, has by-products, artificial colrs/flavors, sugar, corn syrup, and yea there's more. A good dog food should have a named meat source listed first, like chicken or beef.

TOTW is a good brand.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 11:07am PST 
It is so easy to do, you just cut back on intake and up the exercise. And if you like swimming that makes it fun and cooling.

Savvy is about the same size as your dog, and has lost probably 25-30 lbs. in the last year...you can do it too!
[notify]