GO!

now he is vomiting and regurgitating?!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 5:06am PST 
Yesterday I woke up to a lovely bile stain on the dark green area rug in our bedroom. This morning Scruffy stretched and regurgitated part of his breakfast (which he was more then happy to help clean up). We slowed his eating down significantly by feeding him in his Kong and breaking up his remaining food by putting a little in his bowl at a time. He is still throwing up in his mouth after finishing eating but just not as often.

Scruffy eats 1 and 3/4 cup of food a day. He is fed in the morning at around 7AM and again at 4-5PM.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 3:00pm PST 
I elevated his bowl when I fed him dinner and he didn't throw up in his mouth or burp up anything.
[notify]
Piglet

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 3:07pm PST 
Piglet is also starting to regurgitate too, but I think she is eating too fast. If this keeps up, I might try the elevating her food dish as well and see what happens.
[notify]

Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 8:38pm PST 
I held his bowl while he ate so I think he was more confused than anything. smile not sure if I should keep it elevated or not though. I have read elevated bowls can lead to bloat.

I have a portion pacer ball but he learned to eat fast with the ball on top of his food so that only helped for so long. Feeding him in his Kong doesn't help much. Ugh.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 7:11am PST 
If the elevation worked, I'd go with that. Bloat is such a wild card, it's no telling what causes it. The thing with elevated bowls is actually a myth, a study reputed it. You can probably google it to find out more, I'm afraid I don't have a link to it.

When you say throwing up in his mouth, what is that exactly?
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 8:17am PST 
I don't know. I have heard elevated bowls cause it and I have heard they don't. I will try to find the article on it.

When he throws up in his mouth he makes a burping or hickup noise and something (I don't know if its regurgitation or muccus or what) whatever comes up he doesn't spit out instead he licks his lips and swallows it back down.
[notify]
Umberto

RAW Basics

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '11 6:08pm PST 
I'm not sure if I can find any articles to post, so I'm going to write "in my opinion," bloat has to do with the cereal fillers in kibble that expand. You can see how much your kibble expands by adding some water and letting it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. So you can imagine if your dog stuffs himself with 2 cups of kibble, and it turns into 4 cups in his stomach.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to soak his kibble to soften and expand it, and see if that helps with the situation. If not, you can try to add some yogurt, or a probiotic.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '11 6:28pm PST 
I would add water to his food to help it to go down, I had labs that would eat so fast the food would stick to their esophagus from saliva and they would throw it back up several times. I added lots of water to their kibble and that solved the entire issue.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '11 6:46pm PST 
He is eating a grain free food and sometimes I add water. I stopped adding yogurt for a while but I started adding it again. We broke up his meals to three small meals today and he still threw up in his mouth a couple times with yogurt added today.
[notify]
Umberto

RAW Basics

Barked: Sat Jun 18, '11 9:05am PST 
Does he only throw up when eating this food? Or does he also throw up when eating treats? Other food? Off the table people food?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3