GO!

Leaking Milk - not pregnant

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Jersey

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 7:04pm PST 
I just seeing if anyone has any information regarding nipples that are enlarged and leaking milk. My Jersey girl has had her first heat, it ended about two months ago. We have noticed in the last few weeks that her back nipples are enlarged and now are leaking milk. We know she isn't pregnant because we keep an eye on her at all times. We want to get her fixed but can't right now until we find out more about her heart murmur (appointment is two weeks away). Just wondering if there is anything we need to worry about or do. Thank you everyone!
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 12:36am PST 
o that's caused by her first heat session
misty would always have that,and it got so worse after a few years,that her breast were like she had babies.
i don't know the word in english,but in the netherlands we call it a fake pregnancy
the body acts like it's pregnant,but in truth it isn't
i had her spayed and than it stopped
i hope this helps youthinking

Edited by author Tue Jun 7, '11 12:37am PST

[notify]
Kenya

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 4:05am PST 
Thank you...that is what we have been told. I was just checking and to see if we need to do anything.
[notify]

Kenya

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 4:05am PST 
Thank you...that is what we have been told. I was just checking and to see if we need to do anything.
[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 10:46am PST 
Could also be a false pregnancy, they'll often exhibit the same signs and symptoms of an actual pregnancy.
[notify]
Jersey

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 1:37pm PST 
I don't think she can be pregnant....we have always been with her...she isn't really off leash. The only time she has been unattended is with the vet...but I think they would be careful. Her belly hasn't gotten any bigger. We will keep an eye on her.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 1:50pm PST 
False pregnancy is not a true pregnancy and occurs without the female even being near a male. It's caused by hormones but can appear just the same as an actual pregnancy.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 6:53pm PST 
You might try getting your dog to eat parsley. Fresh parsley is an old remedy for drying up teats, and you can safely add it to her food at every meal if you like
[notify]
Jersey

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 6:13pm PST 
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it!!!
[notify]