GO!

Starting a homemade dog treat business....

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Remington

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 4:02pm PST 
Hello everyone!
I'm in the process of starting a homemade dog treat business the things I have done so far are:
Found out all the legal issues.
Created a yummy treat to start with.
Found a local pet supply store that would be willing to sell some of my treats.

The reason I haven't actually started is because, I haven't thought of a good name yet and I'm still figuring out what kind of packaging would be best.

Also I'm still in the planning everything out phase so I don't just fail right out the gate. So while I'm figuring out the big things (money, packaging, A NAME, etc) I would also expand on my nutritional knowledge as well as handing out free samples the the neighborhood dogs(owners' permission of course. otherwise they wouldn't know of my future business!).

I have already been given some good reviews with many customers waiting with tails wagging and drool hanging for it to take off.

Any advise will be kindly welcomed, whether it be nutritional or not. Also any name ideas could be helpful.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 7:22am PST 
What type of treats are they? I'm asking because it's tough to help with a name without knowing if they're biscuit type, dehydrated meat type etc. You don't have to give out your secret ingredient list or anything. wink

It's a lot of hard work but worth it to be your own boss! Good luck!dog
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 11:08am PST 
I like "from the kitchen" type of names...or "back to basics" something that invokes a natural, home goodness. "not your average milkbone" would be funny...I'm bad with names I guess! You can make it personal. Like use your dog's name in the business name, I like that too. Or you could have a contest for people to vote for the name out of 5 choices, winners gets some free samples..fun way to introduce your business and get people interested.
[notify]

Remington

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 12:11pm PST 
They're organic biscuits. Once I have gotten the hang of baking with wheat free, they will be wheat free or just the option of being wheat free.

I like the idea of having the community vote for a name. It makes them feel more apart of it and maybe more willing to buy the treats. Now all I have to do is come up with 5 names...it's hard just thinking of one. What you mean by the winners is the people that all voted on the winning name?

I just know I would like a name to sum up the kind of treats I make but be fun and easy to remember.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 11:44pm PST 
Haha, this reminds me of when I was younger and I made some dog treats for a small "art fair" at my local pool club. They were called Pam's Poochie Snacks. Because my name is Pamela, and they were snacks for pooches. Everybody who bought them loved them and they tasted great too! I can't for the life of me remember what I made them out of though, but it was all dog safe.

I'll let you know if I come up with a better name since I don't plan on opening a dog treat business anytime soon XD

Edited by author Tue Jun 7, '11 11:44pm PST

[notify]
Annie

I know I'm cute- rub my belly!

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 5:14am PST 
Something that sums up what the treat is and where it comes ? Like wholesome homemade by Remington and your name?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 8:55am PST 
There was an old tv show once. I immediately thought of "Remington Steals Biscuits" big laugh The show was called Remington Steele.
edit for misspelling your namered face

Edited by author Wed Jun 8, '11 8:56am PST

[notify]
Tigger

I'm- Tiggerriffffic!!- !!!

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 7:42pm PST 
That's great!! Good luck. I don't have any suggestions for the name but I wanted to say I really like the wheat free part. I was diagnosed with celiac disease myself about 2 years ago and since then I have noticed that a lot of dog treats are full of wheat and other stuff we humans shouldn't have as well. Push the healthy part and you will do greatsmile I would rather buy from a small business like yourself than a big corporation.

The post about the contest for a name was a great idea. Whatever you decide will be perfect I'm sure. Start networking with dog people now and before you know it you will have tons of business
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 10:09am PST 
I like Adams Idea. People would submit names, you choose the best 5. Have the public vote on the best 5 to create one winner. Winner get's a prize!
[notify]
Remington

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 10:59am PST 
I'm liking the contest idea more and more. I just don't know how to go about doing it, where would they submit the names to and how would they vote?

I was thinking of the prize...I could also make the winners dog be a new member of my special elite of doggy taste tester when I make new treats.

Tigger, do you have any wheat free baking tips?
I'll let you know when my business expands to online selling and shipping.wink

I also forgot to say, the treats will be available in sizes from huge to training treat small.(because I can never find healthy training treats around here!)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3