GO!

Best breed for an older woman?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Suzie- Rest in- peace- beautiful

Let me RUN!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 4:50pm PST 
My grandmas friend has recently lost her husband and, alone she couldn't cope with the Schnauzer cross ( with some Terrier type) puppy they had recently bought (shock Shock horror). Her son is going to take the puppy and instead find her a calmer dog.. I was just wondering whether you Dogster had any breed suggestions which I could pass on to them?

What she needs, ideally is:
A small dog
Low energy
Low shedding- grooming needs aren't all that important as long as the coat doesn't need a LOT of brushing (regular grooming trips- every 6 weeks or so- could be coped with)
Calmer, friendly temperament

The dog she had before was an English Cocker.. One which was relatively low energy. This lady is around 70 and probably isn't capable of walking the dog however her daughter visits twice a week with her dogs and is willing to walk the dog then, and also a dog walker could be brought in once or twice a week. Their one rule is no Greyhounds (or similar looking dogs) since they simply dislike the look of them. Unfortunate because I thought an older rescue Grey would be great!
[notify]
Yoopie- (U.P.)

Cutest Ugly- Puppy Ever

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 4:59pm PST 
The first breed that pops to mind is Italian Greyhound, but since that's out... bummer!

An older Westie might be a nice choice. A good friend of mine has one and Cecil is the most laid-back chill dog ever, but since they are terriers, it will definitely be a good idea to temperament test and do a trial period.

A Havanese is a good, low energy people-focused dog. My grandma had one, Max, and I remember him very fondly. Keeping them in a pet clip makes for low-maintenance grooming.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 5:06pm PST 
How about a Cavalier King Charles? Plenty of them in rescue if you look in the right places and they make ideal companions with relatively low exercise/grooming requirements. I actually can't see how they wouldn't work! laugh out loud
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 5:13pm PST 
How does she feel about cats? I'm not entirely joking--an adult calm indoor cat that doesn't need walking might be a good easy to care for companion for someone that's not very active.

But as far as dogs, it's hard to think of a breed that would do well on only walking a couple of times a week--I'd look at rescuing older dogs -- something that's well out of the puppy zoomies and housebreaking stage . . .

What about a Bichon or a Havanese?
[notify]
Suzie- Rest in- peace- beautiful

Let me RUN!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 5:28pm PST 
Cavaliers have been mentioned a few times, but they are concerned about the health problems the breed has! Still, A Cavalier is at the top of their list at the moment I think.

Augusta, she has grandchildren who visit quite a lot, and one is allergic to cats (but strangely enough, doesn't have a reaction to dogs!).

Bichon is another breed on the list at the moment, although we know a lot of them who are actually fairly energetic.

They are looking to get her an adult dog- Everyone agrees that she couldnt deal with another puppy. They dog would probably be walked maybe 4 or 5 times a week, and other than that would have access to a large back garden!

Havanese, although a good suggestion are probably far too rare to be found as an adult needing a home!

Edited by author Sun Jun 5, '11 5:29pm PST

[notify]
Lexi Hope

Mamma\'s little- attitude girl

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 5:34pm PST 
The first thing that comes to my mind is a Maltese because I am an older woman and my Malts are great! But all my girls are great! BOL! Also don't forget the Shih-tzu, golly they are nice dogs, can be a bit laid back and just easy to live with. I have a Morkie also and of my girls everyone always wants the Morkie...now that means she is 1/2 Yorkie but the funny thing is I know MANY people with Morkies and none of them are anything but wonderful. I also have a Havanese...warning...warning....my little girl is a handful of ENERGY!!!! If you look at my page you'll see she is Mamma's Wild Child and that ain't no joke! Don't mean to disagree with Yoopie I think it was , just sayin....this is my experience...also her mother they call the Tornado...tell ya anything? Goodluck! As much as I love my Malts and Morkie I would go Shih-tzu for sure!
[notify]
Yoopie- (U.P.)

Cutest Ugly- Puppy Ever

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 6:17pm PST 
Suzie, I didn't notice you are in the UK. Oops! I mentioned them because I've seen quite a few of them in local shelters around here in the US.

Perhaps a French Bulldog? Or a Pug. Personally I'm not a fan of either of their looks, but I like greyhounds! big grin I've met some Frenchies that are very high-energy so again, temperament testing is a must.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 6:29pm PST 
How about a Chihuahua?big grin They are not yappy little ankles biters , as some people think they are. They are an ideal dog for seniors and some are actually good with kids. Princesse hardly ever gets out in the winter, although I try to make up for it in the summer. At any rate, she certainly doesn't go bonkers in the housesmile I have heard that they are harder to find in the UK, howeverthinking
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 6:29pm PST 
The first thing that comes to my mind is an adult rescued dog. By getting an older dog she will get established temperament, already trained, and past the days of needing extensive walks. You can find a dog that would be happy curling up beside her & walking to the mailbox and back. So many older dogs get overlooked, but can make fantastic pets.
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 7:07pm PST 
I agree with Squ'mey. Older rescue dogs often get overlooked, but they can make an ideal companion for a senior citizen. They usually do not have the exercise requirements of a young dog but can still be a fun and loving pet. The advantage of getting an older rescue is that you will have a very good idea about their temperament and exercise needs and you will be saving a dog that otherwise may not get another chance.

Just a note on allergies - I am very allergic to cats (and horses) but am fine with dogs, so I don't think that it is so uncommon.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4