GO!

Black and chocolate Mini pinscher breed mixing?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 8:41am PST 
Since he is only 5 months old you have plenty of time before this stuff comes into play.

First, you do all the health testing appropriate to you breed (at the appropriate age) while finding a mentor that has been breeding successfully and will all the appropriate registrations, and health testing.

One place to start is looking at your national breed club perhaps? Join it, get active if you can locally (although some breeds are pretty spread out).

IF you dog passes all its health testing, and is appropriately registered, and from lines that someone with a female is interested in, you won't have to worry about all the other stuff. You will have learned it already on your journey. If it is not, then it not breeding stock and you shouldn't stud him.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 8:43am PST 
There is so much more to breeding than putting 2 dogs together because you want a certain look. Breeding is costly & a huge responsibility. First you should look for a mentor within your breed. Next you need to learn, learn, learn, then learn some more. Is your dog from a reputable breeder? What do they think of your plan to breed? Is he health tested? Titled? An exceptional example of his breed? Is he old enough? Will breeding him lead to a betterment of the breed? Do you have enough money to pay if your dog injures or kills the bitch while mating? Do you have good homes ready for ALL the pups? Are you ready to take the pups back if there are problems?
Seriously examine why you want to breed him. Frankly..colour is the last thing you should be worried about.
[notify]
Toby

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 9:07am PST 
"learn, learn, learn, then learn some more"

Certainly good suggestions thus far. I'm certainly only in the learning stage with regard to animal breeding/studding. Since I'm in the beginning stages of my journey with this endeavor, I'm all ears. The reason I'm asking about mixing a black and a brown was one of the many curiousities I have.

Has anyone mixed a min pin?
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 9:15am PST 
You would get a litter of black and brown most likely. It entirely depends on the parent's DNA. Within the breed I do not know which color gene is recessive and which is dominant typically. Let's say your boy is chocolate, but he does carry the black gene, then you breed him to a female who only carries the black gene, you would have mostly black puppies. It would vary with each litter of course.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 9:16am PST 
I just wanted to point out in case it wasn't clear, health testing doesn't mean a vet wellness checkup or vaccines. It's genetic testing and some can only be once the dog is 2 years old (correct me if i'm wrong please) This is to rule out things like hip, eye and other genes for illness that your dog may be carrying and pass on, but not sick himself with.
[notify]
Toby

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 9:35am PST 
"I just wanted to point out in case it wasn't clear"

Yes, I think I get it. Thank you.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 3:19pm PST 
It is difficult to see from your one photo of Toby but it looks like he has white on his chest and his belly. IF that is true, that is a disqualification according to the breed standard and he should NOT be used for breeding. Breeding is all about doing so to BETTER the breed, not just to have puppies of a certain color. Any breed disqualification is automatically out from breeding to since that is going completely against the breed standard and will do NOTHING to better the breed, it will only increase those dogs already in the breed with disqualifying faults.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 4:34pm PST 
Not on purpose, I was an accident and I was almost literally thrown away.

I am a min pin/ chi mix. I am a cool little dog. Honestly, unless you are into showing, competing, and bettering your breed there is no reason to create more cute little dogs when you can get one like me from the pound or even out of the garbage sometimes.
[notify]
Pamela - - - Adopted!!!!

Slave to food!

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 8:27pm PST 
Well said Cocoa Loca. And thank-you for chiming in.

There are more dogs than there are good homes. No breeding, zero population growth is the goal.
[notify]
Jack CD/CDX,- CGC

I nap, therefore- I am.

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 11:11am PST 
Where did you get your dog? If from a good breeder, talk to him/her and find out what the genetic background is for your dog and what he/she recommends.

Jack's breeder is a good friend and she knew his lineage for many generations. And although all her dogs were health tested, shown to prove quality and she had a good idea of what each litter would be like it is not an exact science. I showed Jack and got a few points on him as well as some obedience titles and he still didn't have what it takes to make the Minpin population better so I neutered him.

Seriously, take a look at some of the horrifying statistics of unwanted pets and what happens to them, and then think long and hard about whether or not you want to add to that population.

Just my opinion, chocolate Minpin to chocolate Minpin wink

Edited by author Sat Jun 4, '11 11:13am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2