GO!

Spongie's Heartworm treatment...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Sponge/Roxie

No Rain, No- Rainbow!

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 6:06am PST 
Sponge/Roxie started her heartworm treatment today. Since so many people are against providing HW preventative to their dogs I thought I would chronicle the treatment, which is FAR WORSE!
Sponge had the workups several weeks ago and she was found to be positive for Erlichia. So, she has gone the four weeks of doxicycline.
This morning she went up for the first shot of immicide. She has only been there one hour and I already got a call about her. It seems she is in extreme pain and would not settle down at all up there. As much as they wanted to watch her, it was not in her best interest to let her be that stressed so they brought her back down to me.
She has been given high doses of pain meds but is still in pain, her whole flank is twitching and she is panting like crazy.
She is a bit more settled at home than she was in the clinic, and my home is right next door to the clinic so she is still close.
Sadly, she has to get another injection tomorrow.
Anyone who thinks a monthly dose of a tiny amount of preventative is a major problem really needs to watch this poor dog suffering from this treatment, and it is only hour one into the six week treatment...
[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 6:17am PST 
Thank you for that Sponge, you'll be in our thoughts. hug

A friend rescues GSDs and pretty much they're constantly taking dogs through heartworm treatment. It's very hard on the family, the dog, and any other dog siblings. Glacier had heartworm, but it was treated before we got him. I'm not sure how they treated it (immiticide or just monthly heartworm) and he has a seemingly permanent pot bellied appearance now, which worries me. I didn't realize there was so much pain involved. frown
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 7:43am PST 
Thanks for this! I never really thought much of heartworm preventative since it's not all that present where I am. That is until I started working in a vet clinic. A completely indoor 5 year old dog that the owners had since he was a puppy tested positive for heartworm. His owner just came in to the clinic the other day picking up ivermectin treatment and she was just about in tears because she felt awful for her dog. She said he was in so much pain from the treatment even with the pain medicine that she was contemplating putting him down because of it. I immediately put my dogs on heartworm preventative. I don't think I would ever be able to see my dogs in pain especially since it would be my fault they were in that pain.
[notify]

Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 7:55am PST 
Great idea!

It annoys me that some owners play roulette with their dog's life and claim to love them.

So sorry this dog is suffering. I hope you do educate a few people!
[notify]
Valentine

I has a happy.- It is for you.

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 8:00am PST 
Valentine went through heartworm treatment last year... It was terribly stressful and emotionally exhausting - you have our best wishes and support hug.
[notify]
Sponge/Roxie

No Rain, No- Rainbow!

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 8:52am PST 
It's been four hours and TWO tramadol and she is STILL crying and cannot get comfortable. Very stressful for me AND for her. AND, I have Harvey in the crate beside her with a double ulcer in his eye so he is moaning and groaning as well.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 9:09am PST 
Oh, I am so sorry Spongie has to go through that. I never gave any of my dogs heartworm prevention, but Ringo just went to the vet last Saturday and I started him and Huck on Inter-ceptor. Feel better Spongie wisheshug
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 9:25am PST 
I am not against HW pills for dogs who need them. I am not against what people want to decide to do. I am against IGNORANCE, and lack of information about how these pills are not needed for every dog.

I don't play roulette with my dogs Snickers. The night temp here is still not even above 55 F though the days are warming up alot. But even if I lived in FL, I wouldn't automatically think that means my dogs must be on HW pills. And know what? They are healthier for not getting so many pesticides put in their bodies.

I stayed away from dogster this weekend for this very reason. The lack of tolerance for anyone promoting natural methods, the judgements for anyone promoting, telling about them, and using them.

I wish no dog would have to go through what Sponge is, but there are safe ways to keep dogs HW disease and pill free.

Edited by author Tue May 31, '11 9:29am PST

[notify]
Sponge/Roxie

No Rain, No- Rainbow!

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 9:27am PST 
The vet just stopped over to check Spongie... said everything looks GREAT, heart rate, color, etc. Suggested ice packs as well since the entire hip area is quite swollen now. She is actually going a bit longer between her moans and did lick the nice bone I just gave her.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 9:36am PST 
Sarah is sending her support to Sponge! She says it gets better eventually, and then you just ache for a few days.

Thank you for sharing this with everyone. I did not have Sarah during her first few days of treatment- she came to me about a week after her treatment. She was sore, achy, and lethargic for a few days. Then she turned into "Spitfire Sarah". She became the crazy, hyperactive Parson Russell Terrier mix she was meant to be, and that I fell in love with.

Will she be staying with you for a while after treatment? When does she go to her new home?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6