GO!

Only West German? (Tiller/Cain)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 5:23pm PST 
So Tiller, if you're still around, here's a new one for you (Cain too, if you care to chime in).

I ran into my dual American/Sv judge again today. Tiller you may remember the one, as there was initially some confusion as to who exactly he was (most certainly not Mr. Lanting laugh out loud )

I didn't keep him talking for long, but we did chat for a few moments. I asked how his show in Germany went, and apparently his male placed high. Knowing that he's showing SV, I automatically assumed he had Highlines, but never actually thought to ask. Unfortunately I sort of muttled up my phrasing and asked rather stupidly if he worked West German dogs.

His response was "that's all there is." At first I thought he was just poking fun, but he went on to say that there are no more East German dogs, and proceeded to mention a kennel name that I wasn't familiar with as being the -only- kennel left breeding East dogs.

Now, don't get me wrong, I get that the wall is down and that there is no more "East" and "West" Germany in that respect... I'm not a total dunce laugh out loud . But this didn't sound like an issue of semantics. From his tone, he seemed to be imply that those lines simply no longer existed, and that they were all essentially West dogs now.

Now I didn't badger the man. It wasn't my place, and he certainly knows more about this breed than I could ever hope to.

But I certainly have an opinion on this matter.

What say you, Cain/Tiller?

No more East German dogs? Have those lines degraded into Western dogs? Do you think this really was a matter of semantics?

Just curious on your thoughts wink

Either way, I'm still giddy to have met such a cool guy laugh out loud
[notify]
Dallas

Captain Dallas

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 2:41pm PST 
There are still East German (DDR) breeders out there, you just need to know where to find them.

I personally have a soft spot for those Dark Sable Czech dogs, like those from the Pohrancini lines.

You should check out pedigreedatabase.com... they have a HUGE GSD community.

Edited by author Fri Jun 10, '11 2:44pm PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 6:47pm PST 
Hah, I am more than aware of the opinions floating around PD laugh out loud

I guess I was just curious as to how much of a dig this was, coming from a man of such affluence in the breed.

A person who shows and breeds (what I'm assuming to be) Highlines, to say there is no such thing as "East German" dogs was just... interesting to me.

Mulder is an East German dog. There's no question as to what my opinion is of this laugh out loud
[notify]

Dallas

Captain Dallas

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '11 12:17pm PST 
Ah. Gotcha. Mulder is a very handsome dog at that!

From what I know they are no longer registered as DDR or East German, it's all just one thing now... or something like that anyway.

You have to go back a few generations on PDB to find a dog listed as DDR, but that doesn't mean that they aren't out there still.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Sun Jun 12, '11 11:46am PST 
Where ARE Tiller & Cain? shrug
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Jun 12, '11 12:32pm PST 
they're too busy in the "pressure" thread in B&T. smile
[notify]