GO!

Newbie Question - Refusal to eat?!?!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Duke CGC

Gigantorsaurs- the lover of- all!

Barked: Mon May 16, '11 6:25pm PST 
Ok, so after years of holding back and trying again and again to go with "good" kibble, I finnaly took the dive head first into raw. I went the easy way(not to mention expensive!!!), just to start off, and bought primal. It`s been two days and we still can`t get Duke to even touch the raw. Any tips? We have already tried making it room temp. I wish he would follow after the cat and gobble it up. *sigh* shrug

Thank you for the help, I`m becoming desperate!
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon May 16, '11 6:40pm PST 
Plain bone in chicken is what most people start with. Chicken quarters, or wholes are great. Watch for enhanced products, and you might need to remove the skin until he gets acclimated.

I bet he takes to it like most others right out the chute!
[notify]
Toberlone

He\'s a mutt,- but they love- him

Barked: Mon May 16, '11 7:17pm PST 
I started Toby with plain chicken. He was drooling over it, but couldn't quite figure out how to eat it... So I riped off a bite-sized piece for him. After that he really wanted it and just ate it.

Are you going cold turkey, or have you tried mixing a little with kibble?
[notify]

Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon May 16, '11 7:36pm PST 
I know many people say not to, but you could try mixing the primal with a little of his old dog food, so he understands it's his food. But stick to your guns! He will eat if you keep putting it down!
[notify]
Duke CGC

Gigantorsaurs- the lover of- all!

Barked: Tue May 17, '11 2:25pm PST 
Thank you everyone for your responses. I finally gave in and fed him some of his kibble(in a seperate meal). He hadn`t eaten in 2 days and I was starting to really worry. In response to the cold-turkey question - We were doing one meal raw, one meal kibble.
Today I`m heading to the store to get him some chicken and see if we can start him off like that. I`m soooo getting him off the primal. Time for some more research! I`m gonna stick to my guns with the chicken. Thanks again!
Bella
[notify]
Georgie and- Laci

Barked: Wed May 18, '11 4:37am PST 
I'm only 10 days into raw diet too. I just removed the skin from quarters and kept putting it into his mouth till he got the picture. After that first chomp he eats them pretty quickly with skin!
[notify]