GO!

Coyote trouble

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Emilee

GOTTA GET THAT- RABBIT!!

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 9:10pm PST 
So this morning about 7 emilee starts going off doing her beagle bark, so I yell at her to come inside when I notice that she's barking at a coyote standing outside our back yard fence staring at her. This is the second time that a coyote has been standing at our back fence with all the dogs barking at it. Is there any thing I can do to keep them at bay? I rent a house so obviously putting a new fence up or making any expensive alterations is out of the question. But is there some kind of temporary fix I can make to help keep them away?
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 9:43pm PST 
There's something you can put on top of the fence called coyote rollers. Costs a couple hundred dollars or so depends length needed.

I wouldn't leave the dogs outside alone at all, that's really scary the coyotes would be right up to the fence in daylight at dogs barking. Coyotes seem to be getting braver with dogs at least in the news, taking them as food. (well if you wait past dawn hours, coyotes might be gone)

ETA: I read some urine scents can deter coyotes like wolf urine
http://www.predatorpee.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY& Store_Code=LE&Category_Code=WU
I'd not depend soley on it...

Edited by author Fri Apr 29, '11 9:50pm PST

[notify]
Emilee

GOTTA GET THAT- RABBIT!!

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 9:54pm PST 
Yeah they are getting braver around here, we see trends at work, with multiple coyote attack dogs coming in then we wont see any for quite a while. Its hard for me to watch them all of the time when they are outside because of their doggy door and because there are 5 of them all going outside at different times. But I do my best at prime coyote times, like early morning and the evening. And at night the doggy door gets closed so they cant go out. Ive heard of coyote rollers im not sure if the shotty fence in the back of the yard would work appropriately for them though? Its chainlink but its not put together very well. I mean the dogs cant get out of it, but its kind of flimsy. Would a coyote roller still work on that kind of fence?? Ill see if I can post some pics of the back fence tomorrow morning before work.
[notify]

Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 10:01pm PST 
That would be extremely scary... I mean, I love coyotes (foxes too--we have foxes around here) but seeing one eyeing my dog from the other side of the fence would probably give me a fit! silenced

I'd say be super vigilant and don't let the dogs out unattended, even for a second. My older brother's chihuahua was dragged off by a coyote, never to be seen again only moments after letting him out to do his business early in the morning (that was many, many years ago). I'm sure a chihuahua is a lot easier to simply pick up and carry off than a beagle would be, but they'd still be able to if they wanted to. frown
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 10:02pm PST 
Oh honestly I'm not sure I know it's used on chain link fences i'm not sure how flimsy you mean, but installation is simple, so possibly a good chance.

Hmm I wonder could you teach the dogs to come inside when they see a coyote? Like when you hear them bark (tho it's good they do bark to warn you) come out side and teach them to get in?
[notify]
Emilee

GOTTA GET THAT- RABBIT!!

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 10:10pm PST 
Well Emilee isnt the only dog, she weighs about 20 pounds, its my 3 10 pound dogs that worry me. And Deckers 30 pounds so I dont think they would mess with him ether. They would be easy for a yote to carry away. It does scare me that one of them could get eaten. Sammi has been attacked once before but it wasnt in the back yard that it happened. And Adam I love your idea about teaching them to run inside when they see one but I dont think they see enough of them to know what they are. The yote standing outside by the fence thing has happened only twice in the year and a half weve lived in this house. I just dont know if they would understand with so little contact what a yote is?? But I love the idea and I'm gonna look more into it. They have classes around here that teach dogs to know what a rattlesnake is and stay away from them. So anything is possible.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 10:29pm PST 
I think that the time you would need to spend teaching the dog to run inside to avoid the coyote would probably be better served just going outside with the dogs...

The rattlesnake avoidance training you speak of (there are a few threads on this BTW) is generally done with e-collars, although some trainers now use clickers. My understanding is that this training needs regular refreshers.

This time of year there are probably coyote pups born already, so mom and dad have to do a lot of extra hunting to keep the pups fed. This will make them more willing to hunt in broad daylight and take risks they might not normally.

I would be very vigilant. Don't let your dogs out unattended. I'd not only be worried about coyotes coming up over the fence, but also squeezing under. They are cunning creatures.
[notify]
Emilee

GOTTA GET THAT- RABBIT!!

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 11:01pm PST 
Squeezing under is impossible, this I know because the whole bottom of the fence on both sides is rocked in. It's like a rock fortress out there. I will try to be more vigilant with them going out but I really just wanna know if there are any other options without having to go outside with them. My dogs like to hang out in the yard and play outside and lay in the sun, I would hate to take that away from them because of 2 coyote visits. I will look more into the coyote roller, but are there any other options that I can do to the YARD to help keep them out? Anything someone out there has had luck with?
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 5:42am PST 
Go to your hardware store or big feed store and get a fence charger, (get a pulsing charger so you won't trap birds and lizards with it)insulators and wire. (you can take it with you when you move.)

Run the electric wire on the coyote side of the fence if possible. You want it on top and about coyote nose height. Put some along the bottom if you think they will try to dig in, anywhere that a coyote might try to come through your fence.
[notify]
Emilee

GOTTA GET THAT- RABBIT!!

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 6:33am PST 
Fritz that sounds like a plan. I'm gonna go to lowes or ace today and see what I can get. Thanks for the idea! applause
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10