GO!

rawhide good or bad?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 1:20pm PST 
Hello, I wanted to get chewy a rawhide bone, but my mom seems to think it is bad and I aslo thought i heard someone say vets do not reccomend it but i could have been mistaken.

So my question to you is, "Is rawhide good or bad?"
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 1:24pm PST 
I personally don't care for them. Nicky cuts his gums on them for one thing, and they're not all that digestible. I prefer more natural treats such as pig/cow/lamb ears, snoots, bully sticks, etc etc. and other various dehydrated animal parts laugh out loud
[notify]
Fenrir

Veni Vidi Nom

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 1:51pm PST 
I don't feed rawhide. It isn't natural or digestible. It also expands when wet which can cause a blockage if the dog eats a large chunk.

Like Nicky said, I'd recommend natural, digestible treats like Bully Sticks.
[notify]

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 2:21pm PST 
How is rawhide not natural? Some of them contain additional ingredients or have been bleached. I would stay away from those. I occasionally give my dog US made rawhide that does not contain additional flavors or has been bleached. Raw hide can be a natural chew from a single ingredient.

No dog chew is a safe bet. They all can be dangerous. When ever you give your dog something to chew on you should supervise them. Make sure they are not gulping. My dog can have rawhide because he chews nice and slow. He chews them down to tiny nubs that I step on. Rawhide is not appropriate for aggressive chewers.

I think bully sticks, pigs ears and other stinky natural chews are better than rawhide, but they cost more money.
[notify]
Ty

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 3:59pm PST 
I had a dog that got a piece stuck and I had to reach into his mouth and get it out. He tore off a large piece of a raw hide bone and tryed to swollow it. After that I have never allowed my dogs to have them. I have also heard that they do not digest very well either, so that was enough to put me off them forever.
[notify]
Ty

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 4:00pm PST 
I had a dog that got a piece stuck and I had to reach into his mouth and get it out. He tore off a large piece of a raw hide bone and tryed to swollow it. After that I have never allowed my dogs to have them. I have also heard that they do not digest very well either, so that was enough to put me off them forever.
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 4:12pm PST 
Shellie almost choked to death on rawhide...she no longer gets it. My girls love getting RMB's and Bully Sticks to chew on, antlers last Shellie a really long time, and she loves chewing on them.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 7:23pm PST 
once in a while I get pressed rawhides that are natural (not bleched/treated with chemicals), it lasts a long longer then bully stick and is cheaper.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Apr 27, '11 3:28am PST 
Foxxy and taggert used to love rawhide, but it makes them throw up now. They're basically cow rinds. I give them a pig ear strip, snout, or bully stick. If i've been at the butcher, I can get a bit of esophagus or hog knuckles. recently my pet food store started carrying dried duck feet too. the alternatives are more expensive, but tastier.
[notify]
Jasmine Lula

Sweet Girl

Barked: Wed Apr 27, '11 5:39am PST 
We've never had a problem with rawhide and they love it.way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5