GO!

Diet Kong

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 7:54am PST 
What would you put in a diet kong? I know from my past experiences being pregnant and craving peanut butter, I gained over 50lbs and since I have Huck on a diet, I don't want to put peanut butter in his kong anymore. I am also keeping him away from any pasta, rice and cheese. Some may say yogart, but thats also high in calories if you read the label.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 8:25am PST 
I just put their regular kibble, maybe a little bit of canned food in it. Whatever goes in the Kong gets subtracted from their regular meals.
[notify]
Suki

Tireless

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 8:43am PST 
That is a good idea, Sarah. I put raw ground beef in my dog's kongs and then I freeze it (really good summer treat). big grin
[notify]

Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 9:34am PST 
If he likes veggies you could do veggies like carrots, green beans, etc. Mix that with some of his daily portion of kibble, if you top it off with just a dollop of yogurt or cottage cheese there won't be hardly any extra calories. Canned food is good too, canned food is what I use 99% of the time in kongs.
[notify]
Milo

Sweetest Boy on- Earth

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 11:32am PST 
Milo loves his kong! I mash up a banana with some wheat germ and yogurt and put it in their. You can freeze it for the hotter days, too.
[notify]
Jezabel

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 11:51am PST 
My friend recently had a problem with her chiuaua being over weight and she put her on Vital Essentials and it's amazing the weight loss! (I will try and post a pic) I just started my dog on it now to and Jezzy LOVES it..especially the freeze dried tripe treats. The best part is I can order online and it doesn't cost and arm and a leg.
[notify]
Milo

Sweetest Boy on- Earth

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 12:12pm PST 
Mama always has had a problem with her weight. She is on raw now, which is really helping. But, I've also been supplementing her diet with bladderwrack. It is essentially a sea vegetable that is rich in iodine. It naturally stimulated the thyroid.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 12:31pm PST 
No carbs of any sorts on a diet smile That means no fruits or most veggies as they tend to be high in sugar. I would go with ground meat like lean ground beef, turkey or chicken. You can do it raw or cook it, then stuff it in the kong and freeze it.
[notify]
Milo

Sweetest Boy on- Earth

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 12:36pm PST 
Carbs are not necessarily bad for dogs. They don't need them, but they aren't bad for them. When it comes to dieting, you need to look at calorie content more than carbs. I eat so many carbs it isn't even funny, yet I weigh 99 lbs. laugh out loud I just don't consume very many calories.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 12:40pm PST 
From my experience, it seems that dogs on a grain-free diet will keep weight of more easily than those who eat grains.

Whether the effect of carbs it's a fact or not, protein is essential to keeping metabolism running and energies high. Protein is the best bet for a snack while trying to keep weight off, for dogs and humans alike smile.

Edited by author Fri Apr 22, '11 12:40pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2