GO!

Writing a paper on canine nutrition

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Phyllis

Just- Spay/Neuter!

Barked: Thu Apr 21, '11 6:25pm PST 
I'm currently writing a paper on canine nutrition for one of my classes. Here is what I have so far. I would love some feedback!

There are seven basic classes of nutrients in a dog's diet: carbohydrates, fats, fiber, mineral, proteins, vitamins and water. Carbohydrates, fats, fiber, proteins, and water are macronutrients. Vitamins and minerals are classified as micronutrients. Macronutrients provide energy. This energy is measured in joules (or calories). Carbohydrates include monosaccharides and polysaccharides. Fats are triglycerides. They are made from fatty monomers bound to glycerol. Some fatty acids are essential to a dog's diet. Proteins are made from amino acids. Some of these amino acids are essential to a canine's diet, as well. Other micronutrients include antioxidants and phytochemicals.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Thu Apr 21, '11 7:49pm PST 
Maybe something interesting you might want to check out why dogs don't actually need carbohydrates, but get all the energy they need from fats alone, and that carbs make it hard for dogs to regulate glucose levels. But I think you wrote good and explained macro and micro nutrients good.
[notify]
Phyllis

Just- Spay/Neuter!

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 3:00am PST 
Thanks. I will look into that. It is just my first paragraph anyway (although I might split it into two). big grin
[notify]

Suki

Tireless

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 3:11am PST 
Well, it is okay. Dogs do not need carbohydrates or fiber. They get all the energy they need from fat and protein.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Apr 22, '11 3:27pm PST 
Great start!

You might want to compare the numbers for dog nutrition compared to humans.
AAFCO numbers.
http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309034965&page=44
NRC numbers
http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309034965&page=44
You might compare those numbers to what you get here.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned

Max is 38 pounds and needs the about the same amount of calcium, zinc, copper and B12 an adult human needs. I would expect him to need about 1/3 the amount if he is just a furry human!
[notify]
Davina

Princess puppy - dog

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 8:42pm PST 
You would want to include a history of commercial dog food as well. You also forgot to include the vitiamins and minerals that dogs need. Dogs need calcium, vitamins B12, E, K, A as well as minerals.
Also probiotios You need to check out the National Research Council. This is an independent body that states what the nutritional requirements for dogs and cats are.
Commercial dog food only provides the minimum requirements.
Commerial pet food is regulated by Affco ( I think that is is right American Feed and something Assoiation look it up)
In writig your paper, remember dogs are omniniverus
(wish there were a spell check here)

If you want more information from me go to my website www.devotedtodogs.ca
Nancy T
[notify]
Zoe

Woof!

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 8:45pm PST 
You should include information about the myths of canine nutrition. For example, the one that dogs are omnivores. That is definitely false. Ever looked into a dog's mouth? They do not look like ours at all (herbivore).
[notify]