GO!

Breed guesses?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Smidgen- (Adopted!)

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 3:09pm PST 
Any ideas of what our newest foster pup, Smidgen, might have mixed in her doggy DNA? The shelter listed her as Hound/Lab but she's a little thing at 32 lb. I'm thinking beagle mix but what else? Would love to hear any suggestions. Just got her yesterday and hoping to have more/better photos up of her soon. Thanks!
[notify]
Paislee

play hard, power- nap, eat fast.

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 3:46pm PST 
Are her feet webbed?
[notify]
Smidgen- (Adopted!)

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 3:54pm PST 
Hi Paislee, No her feet aren't webbed at all? What were you thinking of as a possibility? Thanks.
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 8:58pm PST 
on an infamous designer-dog website I saw pictures of "Labbes" (Lab/Beagle crosses) that look like Smidgeon. I see beagle a lot in her, and Lab seems reasonable for the other part. It would explain her markings too.

But who knows, "Little Brown Dogs" are one of the most common shelter "breeds" and there's more than one way to make them, I'm sure!
[notify]
♥ The- Doogers- ♥

Babe, Molly and- Houndy

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 9:24pm PST 
I think Paislee was thinking of a some sort of Retriever (probably Lab) because they always have webbed feet (skin connecting in between the toes) and most Lab mixes have webbed feet, not all though. It helps them swim in the water when retrieving birds and other things.

Here's some pictures of Lab/Beagle mixes.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labbe.htm

She could have just taken after the Beagle in size. All mixes are different. She's definately a cutie what ever she is! smile
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 10:05pm PST 
I'm confused about the "webbed feet" thing. All dogs have webbing between their toes, not just Labs. They don't have free toes like humans, obviously. Do Labs just have MORE webbing than other breeds, then? Can they spread their toes further apart for swimming? Our Lab Sampson merely has BIGGER feet than mystery-mutt Bruno, there don't seem to be any structural differences. They both have webs of skin connecting their toes, and so does our Aussie Maggie and my old Husky Ginger did too. I don't quite understand...

I think a lot of people look at their Lab and say "Ah, yes! He has webbed feet like everyone talks about!" and not consider that their feet look pretty much like every other breed of dog's if they don't have one to compare to.
[notify]
Paislee

play hard, power- nap, eat fast.

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 2:11am PST 
Yes Bruno all dogs have webbing, you are right even my cat footed Kai has a little bit but Labs have more webbing and a bit farther down the toes noticibly so than most other breeds. I am suprised yours doesn't have a noticable difference. I think it is a cool adaptation so I have played with the Lab feet of our family/friends a lot and there is almost always a definate difference, there is more webbing between the toes so if you imagine the water forcing the toes apart their feet look more like paddles and it goes farther down the toe almost always. Paislee is only 1/4 catahoula and she has the feet of a Houla, beefy feet with webbing that reaches even farther down the toe than a Lab, almost to the end of the toes since they work in the swamps and marshes a lot it gives them more ease of movement. Yes I was thinking Lab/Beagle too but sometimes those Lab traits are so 'generic' that they could be mixed up with another, I was thinking the webbed feet might be another possible clue.

Edited by author Mon Mar 21, '11 2:21am PST

[notify]
Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 6:34am PST 
I see beagle in there and I agree with what the others said about Lab being in there somewhere, but in one of the pictures on your page I can notice some terrier perhaps Jack Russel?
[notify]
Smidgen- (Adopted!)

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 9:28am PST 
Thanks everyone! I guess for the purposes of Petfinder, I'll go with beagle/lab mix since I can only choose two breeds in the listing. I'd bet there's more in there though (JRT is a good guess too!) but we'll probably never really know unless her eventual adopters do a DNA test and even then I'm not sure how reliable they are. Thanks again for all of the input and help!
Beth, Smidgen's Foster Mom
[notify]
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 9:49pm PST 
She's cute. Sonny is our Beagle mix. His other half is Golden Retriever, but his beagle personality has overridden most of the Golden in him. I just call him the 'blond beagle'

It's gonna drive me crazy to figure out what else she has mixed in....of to my breed picture book.....

Was that Rain she was playing with in the video? Very funny together.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2