GO!

Finally Jumping in!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tobi

Trouble,- Trouble,- Trouble...

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 5:23pm PST 
Hey guys, after months of research asking questions, books etc etc, the junk food dogfood is gone. here is my kid Tobi eating his first raw meal. I'm posting because i would definitely like to hear from you guys on if i did this right or not, Feedback on if you guys think that i can change something? maybe freeze it so he can't try to take all the skin off at the same time etc?

The quality of the video is horrid, as is the lack of sound but there was MUCH crunching of bone going on, near the end he did try to swallow a larger piece ended up getting caught he spit it out twice and re chewed it to smaller pieces.. i suppose this is a gulper party

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEjAIpLBUFM

Thanks,
David
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 8:56pm PST 
He did seem to be pushing his luck a little there at the end! When it was too heavy to get all in his mouth he respected the food more, didn't he? He did fine, you did fine, keep up the good work!
[notify]
Tobi

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 9:06pm PST 
Yar... he is a stubborn lil guy, it took him 2 more gags after the first one that was on the video before he realized "oh this needs to get crunched up better" party

I think it will get easier, i'll give him roughly 7oz tomorrow morning sometime, then another 7 in the evening, probably with very little to no bone so i don't constipate him on the first few days.
[notify]

Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been.

Barked: Fri Mar 11, '11 9:11pm PST 
Congrats on jumping in!big grin
Don't you just love how much they love it!cloud 9
[notify]
Tobi

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 10:58am PST 
Ya i'm very pleased with the enjoyment he is getting from it, he gets so excited now when i carry a plate towards him party
[notify]
Tobi

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 1:49pm PST 
How often should i expect a bowel movement from him btw, i have looked high and low, and not gotten a definitive answer. 2-3 days before everything gets moving regularly or is that a bad length of time?
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 8:40pm PST 
I started Crash on RAW as a pup so we saw no difference in poop/digestion
but I don't see you having to wait long.
[notify]
Tobi

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 8:53pm PST 
ahh ya, we had one late late late last night and this afternoon about 1/5th of the kibble size and no stink big grin i poked and prodded at it, it was a bit yellowish as stated would be by feeding all chickens at first so i'm all in all happy, and even with him being a "coarse" coat boy, he's softened up substantially.
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 11:03am PST 
For the gulper, it could help if you gave Tobi a bit more space. Looks like he was very aware of your proximity in the video. Almost everyone makes that mistake in the beginning, but try not to stare! Dogs don't like it when family stares at their food and it will make them want to eat as quickly as possible, because staring means you're about to challenge him for it!
laugh out loud

Also, the more challenging the RMB, the better. He looks almost big enough for chicken halves (or whole and you just take the rest away when he's had his ration from it)? Just wait 'til you get to pork hocks -- nom nom nom.
[notify]
Tobi

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 4:13pm PST 
ya you're absolutely right, we have to watch the cat becuase he got a little aggressive a few mornings ago with kitty trying to get a lil nibble shock

I actually have never thought about giving him a whole and letting him have at it, how would i go about knowing how much to let him eat of it? as of now i'm still weighing his 8 ounce servings and getting used to it. From the books i have read i haven't read that so any advice would be helpful becuase he is a gulper and tries to hork it down as fast as possible shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2