GO!

Do male dogs bond better to female owners?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Orion

Crazy puppy- wuppy. <3

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 7:54pm PST 
I am looking into getting our 3rd puppy! A mini schnauzer! I am a mommy and I am wanting this little one to be allll mine as opposed to our other 2 that are our pups. I have heard that males bond better to female owners, a protection thing. Is this true or is it all a personality thing?
[notify]
Angus

Don't mess with- me!

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 9:14pm PST 
Angus was my 40th birthday present but he is totally my husbands dog. he loves me will cuddle with me but he is all about my husband.
[notify]
Sara

Live life to the- fullest

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 9:38pm PST 
Sara is, of course, a female as am I. While Sara loves everyone, she loves me with a passion. She comes to me for comfort, for toys she can't reach, for any problem. When she's afraid, it's me she stands by for strength. She's been around men her whole one year of life, but I'm her person. I think it's just who a pup sees as her pack leader and support system by that person spending a lot of time with the pup, being the comfort for the pup, just by being there as the pup establishes it's human bond. I spent a lot of time I didn't have sitting and cuddling Sara, going outside with her in sun or rain while she pottied or played, and playing with her, yes, at times rough, as pups like that aggressive play at times which most people leave to the man in the pup's life. She still likes her growly play time with me.

Edited by author Tue Mar 8, '11 9:42pm PST

[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 5:13pm PST 
It has worked out that way at my house, but it may be because Bunny spent more time with me, and Princesse has spent more time with hubbysmile
[notify]
Tobi

Trouble,- Trouble,- Trouble...

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 5:27pm PST 
Tobi has bonded with my gf just as much as he has bonded with me imo, i don't think it makes much of a difference in my experience smile
Although, she is cold all the time so she will snag him to keep her warm party
[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been.

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 7:02pm PST 
In my experience female dogs love their mamas but male dogs want & need their mamas!big grin
[notify]
Inari

Can't touch- this...can't- catch me!

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 7:29pm PST 
I worried about that with 'Nari so I made a baby sling and carried her around everywhere that first week...well until she decided she didn't want to be cooped up anymore. After that I started worrying about where her loyalties lay. She was snuggling up with the kids more and more and my green jealousy monster was starting to emerge.

I'm not so concerned anymore however, because though she hangs out with the two legged pups all day, as soon as she sees me sit down on the couch she's right there with me (warm fuzzy time.)

I dunno if the baby sling would work for everyone. It may have just been a fluke that it worked out this way and to be honest, 'Nari is only a pup, which means there's still a possibility she could be swayed by someone else but if given a chance I would do it again. Good luck with your new addition!

Edited by author Wed Mar 9, '11 7:31pm PST

[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 7:42pm PST 
Agree with Samson. Though it does depend on the individual. There are some males that are totally men's dogs--love to get dirty, love to be around guys, et cetera. In the same way, I know a little old female who is terribly close to her Mama.

However, most of the female animals in my life see me as a partner, not necessarily someone they need. I have to prove it to them that I really mean what I say, and they still want to discuss things, talk it through, and make sure I really know what I'm doing.

In a similar way, most of the male animals I know see me as some sort of amazing, brilliant creature that deserves to be obeyed laugh out loud They don't want to talk about it, or discuss it, or to make sure I know what I'm doing. They just accept it and move on.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 7:53pm PST 
My first 2 male Goldens bonded more to me than to other males in the family. The second saw himself as my protector and companion. The third is more a shared dog. My other male dog is closer to the bf, and my female dog is somewhat closer to me, although she is close to the bf as well. smile
[notify]
Toby

Barked: Thu Mar 10, '11 5:52am PST 
I think it depends on the dog and the owners.

Our family dog Bichon Toby in undeniably my dog. Which is kind of weird since we got adopted him at five months right before I went away to college. I saw him when I was home for a weekend every so often, and when I came home he followed me everywhere 24/7. Seven years later it is the common joke in our family that he is my entourage. He will hang with the family, love on them, but if I leave the room for anything he follows.
Kodie on the other hand, a spoo I rescued when he was six, is my dog as well. I adopted him, I rehabbed him, and I have had him the majority of the time. However, he is really more of a true family dog. He seems to like everyone equally, and generally won't follow me unless he feels likes it. I sometimes think its weird that I just don't feel that tight connection with him considering how far we have come with him, but there it is. It confused me for a while b/c of my tight connection with Toby, but I have accepted it. Its prob. not due to being male, but his past and personality.

Generally I think you have to look at other factors such as breed, personality, the dog's background, your family dynamics, and even then I think some dogs just seem to like one person in the family above all.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3