GO!

Egg white good or bad??

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baby

The Beast

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 10:16am PST 
Hi, is egg white good or bad for a dog? I have herd it can be a good source of protein but i have also heard you should never only give the dog the egg white..So im a bit confused. Does anyone know?

Thanks
[notify]
Jasmine Lula

Sweet Girl

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 10:36am PST 
Better to give them the whole egg, raw.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 10:40am PST 
Egg whites partially block biotin absorption but, the yolk has enough to make up for that, so feed the whole egg.
[notify]

Baby

The Beast

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 11:37am PST 
Okay will giving Baby a raw egg sometimes make her gain any weight? or is it good for her? She is on her diet and doing great i was just wondering if she could eat egg and how she can eat it.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 11:46am PST 
If you're concerned about your pup's weight, you could find out the average amount of calories in the egg and decrease the normal amount of whatever you're feeding by that amount of calories.
[notify]
Baby

The Beast

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 12:48pm PST 
Is cooked egg white okay for them? I was reading that raw egg wite was not good for them but i havent found anything on cooked egg white.

Thanks
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 1:48pm PST 
As I understand it egg whites cooked or raw can deplete the biotin so it's best to give both the egg white and the yolk to the dog.
[notify]
Fiona

Farting Queen

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 3:52pm PST 
Best feed the whole egg due to egg whites containing Avidin which conflicts with the absorption of Bioton (Vitamin B7). Egg yolks contain a lot of Bioton themselves though and technically should "cancel out" the avidin BUT I don't know how true that is.

When I feed eggs, I usually feed two yolks with one white, the whole egg, or raw yolk with cooked egg white.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 4:13pm PST 
Cooked egg white is the most digestible protein there is. All other proteins are compared to them. Egg white is 100%, other proteins are less than that.

Raw egg white contains avidin which binds with biotin. A single egg yolk contains far more biotin than the avidin can bind in a single egg white. It is just fine to give whole raw eggs but eating raw egg whites by themselves is a bad idea.
[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 8, '11 5:50pm PST 
hudson has a "kidney specific" diet that a nutritionalist actually balanced according to his needs. Part of the diet consists of cooked egg whites. Since being on the diet Hudson's kidney problems have vanished???!!! We were advised to continue Hudson on the diet. Our 2 other boys get a whole hard boiled egg a day.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2