GO!

Progressive Angiomatosis

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Jurgen Alzen- Spatlese

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 1:23pm PST 
Had my 4-1/2 year old Min. Schnauzer to the vet for DHPP vaccination and annual checkup a week prior to a scheduled dental cleaning. He's white and I'd just given him a haircut a few days prior. As she looked him over she happened to notice the red to purple discoloration over his left rump. It's startling the first time you see it and, because of the coloration, it actually looks like serious bruising. It just never goes away and he has similar coloration in the groin area. We discussed it and she worried that he had a clotting problem so she had some lab work done so she'd know, prior to his dental, if he had a clotting problem. That lab work came back fine.

She contacted a dermatology friend and the friend suggested doing punch biopsies of the area since the dog was going to be under anesthesia for the dental. I consented to the biopsies. She took four; three of the hind quarter and one of the groin area. When I picked him up after the dental, she informed me that the muscle under one of the punches had some discoloration as well. I thought that was interesting because he does occasionally favor that leg after a period of rest (limps around with it for a few steps) and he's never been able to jump onto any furniture or over an obstacle higher than 6".

The lab report came back with a microscopic interpretation of "progressive angiomatosis, a poorly understood condition of dysregulated vascular proliferation composed of well-differentiated vessels. Lesions tend to spread over the course of time, but do not metastasize." The dermatology consultation indicates, "The clinical appearance and histological pattern are diagnostic for angiomatosis. This is a rare condition which can affect both cats and dogs. The most common form in cats is unilateral limb involvement starting on the digits but often also involving part or all of the limb (as is the case here). Clinical lesions present with swelling and purple vesicular lesions and can be painful, causing lameness when a limb is affected. Cutaneous angiomatosis is thought to represent a vascular malformation characterized by multiple angiomas; a non-neoplastic process which is possibly congenital in nature. Unfortunately, the pathophysiology is poorly understood. Surgery is the treatment of choice."

The lab report makes reference to use of laser photocoagulation. My vet followed up with inquiries about the laser and discovered that the only laser available at a veterinary facility is at UC Davis. I'm in Northeastern PA.

The report indicated that the pathophysiology is poorly understood and other than the discoloration and occasional lameness, the dog has no other presenting symptoms. He's had those symptoms for nearly three years. He did have a Lyme test during his annual checkup which came back negative. Someone else has suggested that I take him to a dermatologist and I've had another suggestion to treat him for Lyme Disease even though the test was negative.

Anyone ever hear of "progressive angiomatosis" or have any other suggestions? Thanks.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 8:29pm PST 
I just wanted to offer you some hug and hope someone who has heard of this sees it.
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 8:41pm PST 
I'm sorry, no, but I also wanted to offer a hug and my support. hug
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 9:44pm PST 
Have you looked to see if there are any yahoo groups for this disease?
[notify]