GO!

do all those show dogs really eat Pro Plan?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 4:21pm PST 
saw this ad banner on Dogster... "10 out of 10 top rated show dogs eat Pro Plan!" (or maybe it was Purina One... there is a Pro Plan ad in the sidebar right now)

So show people, is this true? Do they get free dogfood for agreeing to promote it or something? What do show dogs eat, normally? I figure you'd want to be in tiptop shape, and nutrition can really affect coat and energy, to say the least.
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 4:25pm PST 
I can't imagine that those pups are on a high quality dog food thinking As beautiful as alot of them are, perfect weight, perfect coat, I find that really hard to believe. Well, maybe the labs laugh out loud
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 4:31pm PST 
I dunno, I was wondering the same! Good marketing director though...
[notify]

Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 6:30pm PST 
I was like "So, what?" when I saw that. (I haven't seen the ad on Dogster due to my ad-blocker, but I've seen the commercials saying that.) Being a top show dog is about fitting the standard, mostly. (Or it's supposed to be.) Sure, I believe there are stipulations about health and all, but as long as the dog is adequately healthy they are allowed at shows and that includes a lot of dogs on a lot of foods.

Edited by author Wed Feb 16, '11 6:30pm PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 8:01pm PST 
I imagine frequent bathing and teeth brushing would keep a dog's coat shiny and teeth white no matter what he's eating. It just intrigues me, because with all the other money people spend on show dogs, a boutique-brand dog food would be a drop in the bucket. There's no reason to feed a cheap food to a 10,000 dollar dog.
[notify]
Jasmine Lula

Sweet Girl

Barked: Wed Feb 16, '11 11:40pm PST 
From my understanding, no. They endorse the foods probably for money but feed what they want.
[notify]
Ellie

Cuddly and soft

Barked: Thu Feb 17, '11 12:05am PST 
maybe the show people feed their dogs that stuff believing it is the best there is.Our second dog a ridgeback was bought from a show breeder and she loved her dogs greatly she told me to feed him advace or is it Advantage one of those and me been clueless about which foods are the best fed him on that stuff,well later on in his life he had big stomach problems the runs really bad.
[notify]
Butters

~7lbs. of- spoiled rotten~

Barked: Thu Feb 17, '11 5:12am PST 
I've seen those all over Dogster too. Kinda peeves me.

I don't think they really feed it either tho. But, you do have to think about what these dogs go through before going out in the ring (ie, bathing, grooming, teeth cleaning, etc) so I'm sure no matter what the dog is eating, they'll still look gorgeous thanks to the prepping.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Thu Feb 17, '11 6:52am PST 
Amazing what a bath and a sheen spray can do isn't it? Now, yes i would say those dogs do eat the advertised food, as in a piece of it was offered to them and they ate it. For a full time diet, I doubt it. I would imagine show diets are a varied as pet dog diets are.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 17, '11 7:26am PST 
HARLOW....

What't that crack about Labs?

shock
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5