GO!

Transport questions--asking for Smokey in WI

This is a special place for Dogsters to help Dogsters arrange for community transport of rescues or dogs being re-homed. Even though we love our community, please remember this is the Internet. Be sure not to post personal information publicly or share it prematurely; always use your best judgment when working with people unknown to you. Thanks for helping our furry friends get to their furever homes!

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 8:19pm PST 
Toto in NH has offered to foster the Siberian Husky Smokey, Buddy Doughnut's other dog who was relinquished to the Oshkosh Humane Society.

I know nothing about "pulling" dogs from shelters and transporting them.

Does it normally have to be a rescue for an animal shelter to be willing to allow a dog to be transferred or even moved out of state? Should we contact a Siberian rescue in the area first and let them know we have someone who can foster?

I want to have some kind of clue before I start asking more dumb questions of the shelter . ..

Thanks for your help!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 4:42am PST 
Hey, Gus... forgot to mention... we are also a rescue/shelter for our local town, and have an account set up listing us as that, so... that is one less hurdle!
I'll be in touch as soon as I talk with the shelter.
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 6:42am PST 
Oh that's good! Great I've looked at some examples of transport itineraries and the quest map---It's a good 18 plus hours and 1000 miles between Oshkosh and you. It looks like people strive to find roughly one hour legs for volunteers.

So it's going to be some coordinating!wink

Edited by author Tue Feb 15, '11 6:43am PST

[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 6:50am PST 
This is great! Thanks Toto and Augusta for putting yourselves out there for Smokey! His family needs some good news.

I'm out of the way for transport, but I can donate funds for it. Generally, the sending shelter needs to know that there is a definite foster in place, and what the transport arrangements are...you can sometimes work with them on that. Some have carriers they prefer, or they want you to set up carrier and final details and coordinate scheduled drop off for transport with their worker/volunteer.

The decision maker at Oshkosh should be able to answer those questions, and let you know what their requirements are for foster placement.

Please keep us posted.cloud 9
[notify]
~Emma~ RL1

Mixed breed,- Pure heart

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 7:35am PST 
A transport of that length should be doable, especially as Spring draws near, you'll have people with major cabin fever who will want to come out and help. smile I bet you could get 2 hours legs out of people. wink

I'd be nervous about putting a dog on a plane, to many bad things can happen.

Good luck, our paws are crossed for ya.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 7:47am PST 
The shelter responded to my e-mail saying a foster or adopter was really the best thing we could do for Smokey but since I'm stuck in Canada all I can offer is a bit of $$ to support this.

If we're not going to fly him (which I agree is a bit risky) I'm willing to send some money to Toto to help keep Smokey in kibble and bully sticks while she's got him. wink

Toto you said your kennel is set up as the town's shelter/rescue - are you set up for online donation?
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 8:03am PST 
I am willing to help transport if I'm needed. I'm about 3.5 hours one way away from the HS where Smokey is now, but if there is no one else to pull him maybe I could..... or if someone is closer and can pull him and then bring him to the IL/WI border I could head east with him for a couple hours. I've never done this before AND my work schedule is pretty tight so.....

thinking Gah I'm going to want to keep him though bol!!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 8:29am PST 
That would work, Chloe...smile I mean the keeping him!!!
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 8:30am PST 
But Chloe, the BF will remind you that you are but one happy leg of Smokey's journey.wink

If you can pull and transport some of the distance, that would be awesome!cloud 9

I hear ya, Jewel, I wish I lived closer and could do some driving, too.dog
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 8:45am PST 
Trust me I tried Toto, couldn't convince the other half that we need a 3rd dog. confusedshrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14