GO!

Westie vomiting after meals.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lucky James- Wiggins

a dog loves u- more than he- loves himself

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 10:26pm PST 
Lucky is a Westie. He has never had health problems his skin is wonderful and he's very active. He has been vomiting right after almost every meal now for about 4 months. I tried changing food and nothing helped. He started coughing, or hacking and i took him to the vet. They think something is wrong with his esophogus and told me to feed him wet food by hand and have his front feet up so he is stretched out. This helped for a little bit but now he is throwing up liquid looking stuff and it is normally yellow. I have taken him to the vet several times and the next step is to start doing pretty expensive tests. I'm willing to pay but I'm hoping some one else has experienced this problem before and can help out. He also drinks a lot of water and I have to call him away from the bowl.
[notify]
Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 11:19pm PST 
Just wondering what they have done to diagnose?!

Make sure you mention to your vet that Lucky is drinking a lot. That can also be a symptom of something bigger (don't limit his water). If vomiting a lot that will make him dehydrated and if there was a possibility of kidney problems the lack of water can cause more problems.

Good luck, I hope they find out what is wrong soon.
[notify]
Andy

Sun God!

Barked: Mon Feb 7, '11 10:03am PST 
Hello, Im owned by 2 westies and can tell you that it is common in the breed for them to vomit bile (the yellow liquid) when their tummy is empty. IS your westie vomiting bile at any specific time of day? Mine typically throw up bile early morning before having breakfast. If yours is early morning try giving him a substantial treat right before bedtime. I use the small Innova biscuits give one to each dog, broken in peices so they dont devour in two gulps. smile If this does not help, talk to your vet about administering antacid.

AS for the vomiting after eating..(assuming there is no esophogus issues) Some westies have a very sensitive tummy and dont do so well on some foods.. One of mine doesnt do well on Kibble twice a day.. morning he gets canned and evening I give him kibble with hamburger and veggies on top. What kind of foods have you given your westie??
[notify]

Lucky James- Wiggins

Barked: Mon Feb 7, '11 9:32pm PST 
He isn't throwing up bile if he has just eaten it's always the food he throws up and if he drinks too much water he will throw that up too. I'm feeding him buffalo blue wet food right now it has done the best with his belly. His vomiting is slowing down. I have also noticed if I don't feed him early in the morning he won't vomit. I feed him about 11:30, 4:00, and 8:30. I don't give him a lot of food at a time that is why I feed him 3 times a day and I feed him later in the evening so he doesn't wake up starving. The vet just keeps asking symptoms she hasn't really done anything except feel his belly and ask tons of questions... His nose gets dry pretty quick so I let him drink then let that settle on his stomach and give him more because if i just leave the bowl out he'll drink until he throws up again.
[notify]
Andy

Sun God!

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 9:19am PST 
Has your vet suggested running a blood panel to test for diabetes, kidney failure, pancreatites or even Addisons Disease? If not, You might want to request a blood panel just to make sure his organs are functioning properly. ALso request a urinalysis.

The Westie Foundation has a wealth of info on the diseases that are common in Westies.. click topic on right for a PDF file.

http://www.westiefoundation.org/

Edited by author Tue Feb 8, '11 9:51am PST

[notify]
Stewie

On the Look Out

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 3:29pm PST 
Andy I agree. I would do a blood test, Urinalysis, and x-rays...
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 4:37pm PST 
I agree that your pup needs more tests. What kind of food have you switched to? Have your tried different proteins? Have you tried no grain less filler? Kali was allergic to some ingredients in her food. One of her symptoms was throwing up her food and drinking a lot. In her case, she was hungry and tried to fill her stomach up with water. She did have some other issues along with that, so it's important that your vet rules out other possibilities. We changed Kali's food several times before we found something she can eat, from beef to chicken, to lamb, to turkey to finally fish & sweet potatoes. She has been healthy for almost 3 years now. Good Luck!
[notify]
Lucky James- Wiggins

Barked: Thu Feb 10, '11 9:05pm PST 
Thanks everybody. I'm a little tight on money right now but a friend has offered to help out. I'm going to get his blood tested and I've tried the fish and sweet potatos in dry and wet food. I've tried chicken, lamb, and fish and even cooked him food myself. He has done really well with Blue Buffalo lamb stew I think is the name. He hasn't thrown up and his drinking has slowed down. I am still getting a few more tests done I just have to have them down one at a time because I can't afford to get a lot done at once.
[notify]