GO!

socilization help

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lamb Chop

I can sleep- anywhere!

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 7:11am PST 
Im trying to introduce my puppy to as many dogs and people as possible. The other night at my aunts house they dog was ok with Lamby and then had enough but the puppy kept wanting to play. The other dog was growling when she came over but she did not seem know what the other dog was trying to tell her.
My question is will she learn what other dogs are trying to tell her? Also when Lamby was trying to play with the other dog and the other dog didnt want to play should I be trying to get her attention to another thing, like a toy?
Thanks
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 8:14am PST 
OMD, you are soooo cute!!!

Why not enroll in a puppy kindergarten that offers the opportunity for socialization? I know we also offer doggy socials for preapproved dogs. All play is moderated by a trainer, so it is a safe environment.
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 9:01am PST 
Agree with Asher!

OMG your Lamby is adorable. Checked out his page love your cats too. Sooo cute.....cloud 9
[notify]

Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 9:40am PST 
cloud 9 OMG. What a cute baby! Such an adorable face. What was the question???
[notify]
Roxy

Here comes- Trouble!

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 10:42am PST 
big grin I totally agree you are tooooo CUTE! Your face and wrinkles are so precious! You look like a puppy to snuggle! cloud 9 Oh, and puppy classes sound good to me!
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 11:57am PST 
Aww, who doesn't love a bully pup, they are cuteness personified. Good suggestions, but I don't think anyone directly addressed your question.
The short answer is yes, if the other dog is sending signals that Lamby is ignoring or doesn't get, you should intercede and distract. Most adults can school a pushy pup with just the right amount of force, but if Lamby is ignoring it you don't want the situation to escalate.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 4:51pm PST 
To build on what Shane was saying: Do you know anyone with a good, calm dog? A calm dog can school your pup about canine corrections. A friend's Belgian helps out strange pups all the time. She'll quietly greet & reassure the pup, but will give a gentle correction if it gets too rowdy. This helps your pup learn body language and canine etiquette.

Keep posting-we want to watch how your cute pup progresses.
[notify]
Lamb Chop

I can sleep- anywhere!

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 5:45pm PST 
Thanks everyone! She is a cutie but a handfull.
Is there a website to search for puppy socials in my area? Ill have to google it. Im in Lowell, ma so there has to be something near by.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Jan 30, '11 6:44pm PST 
They hold them at Petco pretty frequently....and they're free smile
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Mon Jan 31, '11 11:37am PST 
Look for local trainers/training schools or shelters - they all may either run puppy playgroups or know who does - often they are free or as little as $5/event.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2