GO!

Rescued Dog wont potty

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Penelope

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 4:45pm PST 
I am a beautiful 14 month old brindle pit lab mix. I came home with my new mommy who rescued me at 7pm last night and here it is 6 pm the next day and i still has not pottied! Mommy is super worried. I am playing, eating and drinking just fine but I have not went pee-pee or poo-poo.I am also farting a lot and stinking up the house. My new mommy called the vet but they said they cant see me until Friday!
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 4:57pm PST 
My, what a beautiful girl!

Have you tried walking her? She's probably still a little disoriented, but a walk might help stimulate her system and get things moving. way to go
[notify]
Sam

I can get out of- anything...

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 4:59pm PST 
I don't think you need to worry too much. He is young and the transition can mess with his nerves. Sometimes getting a dog really really excited during the walk can make them want to go. Try taking him on the leash and jogging fast and all the while touching him and making some squealing noises and maybe even bring a squeaky toy and run, squeak and mess with his ears and push him around a bit. Work him up real good for like 10 minutes and then take him to some grass.

If by tomorrow he didn't go though you should try something. A laxative I wouldn't recommended but you can try giving him some fish oil and mineral oil from the pharmacy, just don't overdose, dose like for a child. Maybe it'll help.
[notify]

Penelope

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 4:59pm PST 
I take her out once an hour for about 25 minutes and walk around the yard. I just didnt know what else to try.
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 5:00pm PST 
Sorry!! SHE!!! She's a girl and a very pretty one! OOPS!
[notify]
Penelope

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 5:05pm PST 
Thanks, I feel in love with her upon seeing her last night. I am just worried because I dont know how to make her go. I have even tried taking her out when Bubba goes out, thinking that if she saw him go she might go, but even that did not work. I am just worried that she might be holding it for too long.
[notify]
Sam

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 5:11pm PST 
Nothing will happen if it's just a matter of her holding it. When nature tells her it's time she'll go. But try that. take her outside of your yard, maybe down the road and do a job. Get her really rowled up. I'm sure it'll do the trick. For some reason with dogs, their stomachs correspond to their emotions. Some dogs get constipated when they're nervous or in a new situation while others (like mine) just go wherever they are.
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 5:45pm PST 
I think Sam's right. Some dogs get tense, but if they get enough exercise they relax.

If she does finally go in the wrong place, just move it outside and reassure her that this (outside) is where she can go potty.

Enjoy her, and thanks for rescuing her!
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 6:09pm PST 
I agree with Sam, take her for a walk. It's a great bonding experience for both of you, and will hopefully help her settle in. Give her some time to relax, and whatever you do (even if it's in the house), don't punish her when she does go. If she goes inside, go back to potty training 101 (she may not be housetrained- but may be used to getting yelled at for going potty). It could also be, if she was a "yard dog" that she won't go while you're with her. Maybe try and watch through the door/window? I'd start with a nice walk around the neighborhood. Make sure your collar is a good fit, and introduce her to the new sights and sounds around you. Congratulations, and she is a beautiful girl. smile
[notify]
Penelope

Barked: Tue Dec 14, '10 6:13pm PST 
I finally got her too pee-pee but still no number 2. As soon as my hubby gets home and can sit with our 4 yr old and Bubba I will walk her around and see if anything happens.I will keep you all informed. Thank you for helping me with this.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2