GO!

Crossbreed/Mutt/Mixed breed appreciation thread!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 7:23pm PST 
...Whatever you want to call them, lets have a nice thread to brag about/admire our crossbreeds winkWhat are your dogs mixed with? Any mixes you particularly admire? What breed does your dog take after more in both looks/temperament? Anything goes!

We see the threads for the lovely purebreds daily but aside from controversial "designer" dog debates, you don't see purely positive threads about crossbreeds. This thread isn't for bashing, purely for fun.

So, unleash your gorgeous mixed breeds and feel free to discuss everything about them. Purebreds can post here to of course, we don't discriminate wink

Hope this thread is allowed, even if it's not exactly about choosing your next dog.
[notify]
Dakota

the Good dog

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 7:39pm PST 
Harlow's mom here! Dakota is my mix, she is shepherd, golden, chow we think. She was our first dog together. She is almost 10. Dakota is my scary dog. We brought her home from the spca at 3 months, she was actually my christmas present. She hates loud noises, men, things out of place. She is my protector always, will get between me and the world. Which is not always a good thing laugh out loud She has the most beautiful doe eyes in the world! In my household with my crazy dals, she is known as the good dog.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 7:42pm PST 
of course it's relevant, Tyler! Mutts tend to get passed over in the normal "what kind of dog should I get?" threads, so this is the mutt payback! MUTTS ROCK! Anyone who's looking for a purebred could be just as happy with a mix (there, I said it smile ) IF they choose carefully.

Bruno is my mystery mutt. His DNA test said he was 25% Chinese Shar Pei, 25% Scottish Deerhound, and 50% CHIHUAHUA. big laugh For a fifty-lb Akita look-alike. Seriously. But it's plausible, he's very devoted, very vigilant and somewhat reactive, like Chi's often are. Loving but not overly effusive or clingy. It's funny to think that a dog so handsome (to me at least smile ) was not the result of any planned breedings by humans (not likely, in any case, with that breed mix!)

He's frikken SMART too- I swear he's a faster learner (and more obedient) than my family's Aussies and Lab.

His energy level is AWESOME too. He's super-chill in the house, just lays around, has NEVER chewed up anything. Even dirty underwear, stinky shoes, etc. But when it's time to go, he's ON IT! Simply beautiful to behold at a full run next to my bike. His running conformation is excellent, perfect effortless action. And watching him hunt field mice or rabbits in a brush pile is hilarious.

And of course, he only cost me 35 dollars to adopt, he came already neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, housetrained, and in perfect total health. Of course, he did come with some behavioral issues, but we're working on that and he's improved quite a lot. (And that's not just a shelter dog thing... dogs from anywhere can have issues.)

Yay for mutts!
[notify]

Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 7:49pm PST 
OOoooo, Thanks Tyler!
I have loved all my dogs, but my Mutts have been the most satisfying relationships of any of my dogs.

Meet Snickers:
Almost 8 years old and my unabashed super crush! He thinks I'm fabulous and I'm good with that. He had his Wisdom panel done, he is 1/4 Siberian Husky, 1/4 Flat Coated Retriever, I think the remainder may be Feist as he has a natural bob-tail and has a personality much like a Feist. He is a lazy critter, hates getting wet, and loves sleeping by the wood stove.
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 8:01pm PST 
This is Pepper,
Snickers helped raise her from a tiny puppy. She is much bigger than he is now. Her Wisdom Panel says she is German Shepherd, Chow Chow, Golden Retreiver and mutt. Her Chow part gave her a tail that is frequently curled over her back. It also cursed her with the UGLIEST voice! She sounds scary even when playing with us. She has the pretty face and "talks" like a German Shepherd, which cracks us all up. She has the sweet eyes of a Golden and ears that won't stay up, but won't hang down either.
She is very excitable, scared of strangers and all the noises she hears.

But if she likes you, you can look forward to her tickle-kisses, tail wiggling, super greeting. I look forward to her greetings so much when I come home.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 8:02pm PST 
One of my favorite mixes are Shep/Husky mixes. They're always so gorgeous! I also came across a beautiful Rott/Husky mix on petfinder. She looked like a Rottweiler only she had blue eyes!
[notify]
Kaylee

Trying to- outcrazy Rowan- since 2009

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 8:09pm PST 
Rowan's mom here! Kaylee is my roommate's cattle dog mix. I think the shelter had her labeled as a cattle dog/collie mix, but I don't remember for sure. She's definitely got cattle dog in her, regardless. She's a very quirky and has been a nice introduction to living with a herding dog for me. She's mellow for her type, but still has some of that working dog edge.

She's also Rowan's very best friend cloud 9
[notify]
Quentin- Flagg

King Q - king of clown- town

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 8:19pm PST 
Oh yippee!!!! I am a bona fide mutt lover. Mutts are the bestest!cheerdancingcheerdancing

I love my mutt Quentin. He is just gorgeous and everyone always asks him what kind of dog he is and we beam with pride as we say "we don't know". We actually think he's GSD/Basenji/Lab/Collie/Aussie Shepherd. He's just a total mix and such a great dog. Potty trained within 5 days of bringing him home at 8 weeks. Has never chewed up anything that didn't belong to him. He's just great. Perfect energy level in the house and beautiful to behold when he runs and jumps; he's so graceful. He's a huge snuggle bug with us, but doesn't let other people touch him. He's serious and smart but can be such a clown at times. He hangs on our every word when we speak to him. It's so funny to watch him look up and actually pay attention when we talk to him.

We love our shy, beautiful, snuggly, serious, smart, graceful, funny, protective, loving bundle of mutt magic.cloud 9cloud 9
[notify]
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 8:22pm PST 
And last, but not the calmest of my 3 pups - Sonny.
Sonny is ALL DOG! He is funny, playful, goofy, pushy, assertive, bratty twerp of a dog!

I call him a "blond Beagle. Boy does that have double meaning. He acts like a hunting Beagle. He bounces, he barks with a BAAROOROOROO! He is very devoted to filling his tummy. Sometimes I think he's a brick shy of a full load.... He has made me laugh more in the past 7 months than any dog has in a lifetime.

A couple of weeks ago I filled the Waggle with some kibble and gave it to him. Right away he shook out a kibble and it slid under the fridge. Soon he was; tail & tush in the air, front legs folded under him, and head on it's side trying to get the kibble. After entertaining me for quite a while, he flopped on his side. He lay there looking at me like a Flounder. He was wondering what I was waiting for, I was the 'fixer'. So I used the backscratcher to get the kibble out - and other food came out too! So now the fridge is like a slot machine and he's hoping for a big payout!

He is also the goofiest looking agility dog you'll ever see. Snickers is too lazy & timid, Pepper has problems with her back legs (tore her ACL, right after recovering from Luxated patella surgery). Sonny is afraid of nothing, jumps like a champ and is very fast for a stumpy yellow dog. So we set up a course indoors to keep him busy while the weather is bad. He's taking to it well. I haven't introduced weave poles - I can't see him getting through them very well.

Not bad for a biting dog that was returned by his adoptive parent and almost sent back south eek I fear that was a euphamism for putting him down. I've worked on channeling his "bad habits" into useful sport.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 8:23pm PST 
I could never make up my mind which sort of dog is right for me so why not a mix of a goodly variety?

Max looks to be Aussie/sheltie/cocker/springer and Sassy looked to be beagly labby something or another. Labs are too large, beagles don't listen, Aussies and shelties bark, spaniel ears are so long and can be really birdy. Then again Sassy had the major lab fur and Max is super clingy but Sassy was always ready for a hike and Max is just amazingly obedient.

Got my eye on smaller dogs now. Chi/sheltie/spanielly/pom type dogs are catching my eye although there is an extremely cute mini lab available too.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13