GO!

is my pomeranian a giant?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Woodstock

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 12:16pm PST 
the other day while walking my dog, i had a lady stop me and ask me what breed he was. i told her that he was a pomeranian and she stood there for a second and told me that there was no way, he was too big. i had no idea what to even say! i am absolutely positive he is 100% pommy, since i even met his mom & pop.

he IS a big pomeranian i suppose, but i actually love his size - it's perfect, he's the best snuggle pup ever. he weighs about 8 pounds and he's extremely fluffy (if you can see his photo) so no matter to me! big grin

is it possible that i was duped or something, though? that he's not a full pomeranian just because he's big? it wouldn't matter to me, i love him no matter, but her comment kind of made me curious.
[notify]
Haylee

play play play- sleep

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 12:29pm PST 
he looks like a pomeranian to me. i have seen some poms get to be 8 9 lbs.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 12:50pm PST 
Nah, he's just a big off standard pom smile Happens a lot.

More to hug. wink
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 1:39pm PST 
For some reason, I can't see your profile picture. I would agree though that your Pom could be a purebred who is over standard. Did you know that originally Poms were 30 pounds?eek I think a couple of pounds over standard just makes him pet quality, not show quality, so if all you want is a pet , who cares?big grin
[notify]
Oliver- Lambchop- Loeser

Cuddle ME!!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 2:50pm PST 
Looks like a pom to me. Some dogs are just a bit bigger than the standard, Ollie is a pure Bichon, but weighs about 22 lbs, and he isn't obese, he is just a bit bigger than the standard.
[notify]
Woodstock

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 2:52pm PST 
aw, thank you all soo much for answering! i thought so, and i'd love him to the moon and back either way, but she insisted and called him a "monster pomeranian" lol frown he's not a MONSTER! poor little fella party

thanks again everyone! i think he's just precious. i did want a tiny pom, but honestly.. he's just right. not too small, and not big at all big grin just perfect
[notify]
Toby

As if I could- get cuter!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 3:26pm PST 
What a rude lady! He's clearly a Pom! A rescue I foster for had a 'pom' bought in recently that was bigger than a Jack Russell! He looked like a collie cross to me, yet the owner insisted it was purebred. I don't think I buy it.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 4:16pm PST 
He looks like a Pom--and eight pounds isn't that far over the standard. They used to be much bigger dogs, and carelessly bred Poms can wind up much bigger than yours even now. Like, twenty pounds larger.

Ignore the woman; she doesn't know what she's talking about.
[notify]
♥- London- ♥

London is a- sweetie once he- knows you!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 4:39pm PST 
My aunt and my cousin each have a Chihuahua. London weighs like 11 pounds and Chico weighs like 20 pounds. They insist that Chico is purebred, but he didn't come with papers and they never saw the dad. But they are both too adorable.

Anyway, to answer your question, no I think your Pom is the right size and I agree, he's not too far from the standard for the Pommie breed. He's SO cute, by the way. smile

Oh and the rescue I volunteer with has several Pommies right now. They are all different weights, 9-15 pounds. I think all Pommies are cute. Especially the ones who are big pommies!
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 5:35pm PST 
At 8 pounds your dog aint no giant. He is almost half the size of my small dog who is 15 pounds. My dog is a small dog too.

Even dogs who were bought from conformation show breeders can be bigger or smaller than the standard. Your dog is close to the standard. He's not that far off.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4