GO!

Tears

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Izzie

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 6:53am PST 
Please help! We are watching my mother in law's mini yorkie (I think she must be around 3 pounds) for the holidays. She has horrible tear stains, and I've never had to deal with this before. Does anyone have recommendations on the best way to clean them? Can I use Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo? Thanks!
[notify]
Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 9:15am PST 
I just use either water on a gauze pad or I buy eye pads especially for eye cleaning. BUT...I haven't had tear stains in quite awhile (hope I'm not jinxing myself lol!) since they've been eating Fromm 4-Star food. So, you can try to clean them while you are watching the dog, but I would also ask what it's eating. Sometimes food can play a part in tear stains (allergic reaction to some ingredient) It can also be a physical problem with the tear ducts or an eye problem. Yorkies can have long hair around their eyes, so maybe some stray hair is getting in the eyes and causing it. As you can see, there are a lot of reasons for tear stains. A product called Angel Eyes is the most popular to get rid of tear stains. Some people don't like it because it contains an antibiotic called Tylosan (spelling?). However, Angel Eyes now makes a more natural product without the antibiotic. Haven't seen it yet, but read about it. I also haven't used Angel Eyes in years, but it did work when I did. I hope this helps. Maybe someone else has some more suggestions. Good luck!

Edited by author Sat Nov 20, '10 9:18am PST

[notify]
Sassafras

My head is- broken, not my- heart!!

Barked: Mon Nov 22, '10 2:24pm PST 
Sassy has a pretty big problem with this (as you can see from her pictures). I tried many different natural and homiopathic suggestions, some of which helped (like adding a tiny bit of Apple Cider Vinegar to her water and feeding her only raw meat), but I have finally purchased Angels Eyes to see if it can help get rid of the problem for good. Little dogs have a lot of allergies to things and are very sensitive to cleanliness and food.
[notify]

Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 9:51am PST 
Sass, is the angel eyes working?

I noticed Rufio has watery eyes when he is in a dusty place or on super sunny days (from squinting)
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 23, '10 2:49pm PST 
I disagree about little dogs having more allergies and sensitivites causing eye issue. Most small dog tear stains are due to genetics and the anatomy of the eye as it fits into the eye socket. Large eyes fit tightly in a small dog and as a result, they compress the tear duct that drains tears down into the nose. Because of the compression on this duct the tears spill over the eye and, depending on the bacterial and mineral content of the tears, will or will not stain. This has nothing to do with allergy, it is purely physical.
It is also true that dogs with hair close to their eyes often suffer irritation from the hairs rubbing the eye...coupled with a compressed or too small tear duct, these tears will run down the inside corners of the eyes and either cause stains or even collect dust and dirt buildup.
I had many large dogs for years and years, now I have only small ones and, while some of them do have tear stains from bacteria in the tears, NONE of them have allergies or are more sensitive to dust, etc.
[notify]
Sassafras

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 7:12am PST 
I just started the AE and I guess it takes a little to set in, but I'm documenting weekly progress so I'll update about it when I have some!

Bean, while I agree with you, I also have to disagree a little too. Sassy being my only real evidence, I keep a cleaner house than my parents. When Sassy lives with me, her stains reduce. When she is living at my parent's house, which is much more dusty and even I have allergies at, her stains get much worse and she sneezes more. I think the dust does play a big part.
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 11:56am PST 
Yes, Sassy... true enough BUT... if she didn't have a problem with the tear duct draining away the excess tears they wouldn't be there to collect that extra dust and make stains!!!
[notify]
Brenda Lee,- CGC, RN,- TDInc.

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 4:03pm PST 
Both Gussie and I have had difficulties with tear stains (Gussie more than me), but three things resulted in improvement in both of us. Believe it or not they are time, water, and food! Yup -- our mom only gives us bottled water and food with NO red dye in it. And we are now both adult dogs.

The stains were at their worst when we were puppies and especially when we had just come here to live. On our first day we were started on the bottled water and dye-free food. That, coupled with our exit from puppy-hood, has made a HUGE difference in the stain problem. Now I rarely have a stain, and Gussie only has some when the seasons change and the pollen count is high.

Mother Nature -- what a woman! cheer I bet she has a Poodle!!! tehehe
[notify]
Sassafras

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 9:16pm PST 
Ha true Bean! I was giving it more thought while skritching Sas's head today, and her eyes do look uncomfortably compressed in her skull!
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 5:04am PST 
Sass.... at least hers are compressed in rather than buggy out!! Us small dog owners gotta count our blessings wherever they may be, right?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2