GO!

Please Adopt from Your Local Animal Control

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Reilly-A- Gentle- Soul-RIP

No Electric- Fence for Me!

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 12:24pm PST 
There are awesome pets there and usually only kept for 5 days before putting them down. I've seen pets already spayed or neutered, trained and pure breeds.kittypuppy
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 3:32pm PST 
If they've got a giant mastif breed or mastiff mix, that's where we're goin' for our next one. No one ever wants the giants, black dogs, or the mangled eared dogs. If we could get all three of those rolled into one dog that would make our day! They need love too way to go
[notify]
Marlo

I'm A Good Dog,- I Just Do Bad- Things

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 5:03pm PST 
Hey Kahuna!

Scroll down to "Casey"...

Giant, black AND mangled ears lol

OK well he's brindle not black but still...

(This is the rescue Marlo is from and I know Casey's foster mom, he's an awesome dog. A bit far for you tho prolly wink
[notify]

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 6:50pm PST 
Adopting from animal control can be tough, it depends on the facility. My dog was adopted from Animal Control in a large southern city. It was an awful experience and I adopted a sick dog. I was heartbroken and sickened by the conditions. I was horribly surprised at how emaciated and sick Milton was. He was there longer, almost a month. They either kept forgetting to put him down, he slipped behind the scenes or he was a staff favorite. He was picked up as a stray and given a name unlike most of the dogs, so I guess he got more time.

I was not prepared for the place and adopted the sickest dog there, but I did get a dog with an excellent temperament.

The duration or time the dogs are allowed in animal control depends on the facility and funding. Some animal control facilities are comparable to private non-profit shelters, others are nightmares like the place Milton was bailed out of.

Adopting from a rescue may be a better choice for a lot people. Rescues often adopt dogs like Milton from animal control and rehabilitate them. Rescues and organizations are less likely to have sick dogs. Adopting a dog that needs a home from any type of place or organization reduces the amount of dogs in Animal Control. Just think of the dogs that may of went to animal control if they were not placed into rescues.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 11:25pm PST 
Yeah and there are so many breed rescues.
Usually the dog at a rescue has had any health problems addressed.
It's soooo bad how many doggies end up in rescues and shelters. It literally breaks my heart.

Just on this site, look how MANY poor bulldogs.

http://www.rescuebulldogs.org/display.pl
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 6:31am PST 
Our animal control isn't really ideal to adopt from. They generally only catch hunting dogs and ferals, neither or which is suitable for a home. Adopting from them and the humane society can be an altruistic move, but be careful to thoroughly assess the dog before you bring it home.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 8:27am PST 
I had my own rescue in FL and all of my dogs came from Animal Control. Just because they are in animal control doesn't mean they are unadoptable. I got many purebred dogs as well as mixed breeds of a wide variety. Even a few rare breed dogs. Ever dog I rescued found wonder forever loving homes. When I gave them the background on the dog as coming from A/C they were shocked. Alot of people don't understand that A/C has some amazing dogs. Most only have 3-5 days to live before they are euthanized.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 9:04am PST 
Hazel was picked up by Animal Control in Virginia. wave
She spent some time in a shelter down there before being brought up to NJ by a rescue. She was boarded in a shelter up here for about a month before we got her. Yes, she has been a big handful, but I wouldn't trade her for anything.
Most of us here on Dogster are so crazy smitten by dogs that we can patiently handle the work of rehabilitating A/C dogs. But, I wouldn't recommend it to the average person who just wants a low-maintenance buddy. So those of us who can handle an A/C dog, should (at least once).
[notify]
Dolly - RIP Old Lady

Old Dogs Are The- Best Dogs

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 9:48am PST 
Amen, Turner!

Hazel, the thing is, plenty of dogs are 'handfuls' that require lots of work, whether they come from animal control, rescue, a friend, a breeder, a pet store or what have you. AC animals are not unique in this aspect. While I agree that a dog with an unknown history is not the best choice for EVERYONE, it does not necessarily mean they will be more work than another dog. Out of my three dogs, the easiest one is the one from AC with zero info on her history. She's got about the best temperament you could ask for.
[notify]
Jolanda

I grin from ears- to chin :D

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 10:07am PST 
waveI am from a high kill shelter in Merced and am a happy, healthy girl.
Mom adopts from shelters or working stock breeders. We also rescue dogs a few times a year and find homes for them. Mom never charges, she just wants for the dogs to find a good home and happy people.
Mom also matches dogs with people. She knows the dogs in the surrounding shelters and when someone looks for a dog, mom listens to their needs and then sends them over to a place where she thinks they can find the right dog. So far so good smile
The first thing she does with every dog that enters our home is go to the vet, do x-rays and check ups, clear them medically.
Also our advice, if you want to adopt from ACC, foster first!

ACC is our first choice, too.
Woofs to you all, Jolanda and sonja
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4