GO!

Pet Store Question

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mattie

Loves to fetch!

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 1:05pm PST 
I was just wandering how many of you have a pet store in your town that sells dogs from breeders. Is it common everywhere? We have one here and they just say that they get their dogs from a breeder friend in Florida. These types of stores make me so angry!! confused

Go to a reputable breeder or a shelter!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Knoxville-TN/Puppy-Zone/2572054061 36

Edited by author Thu Oct 21, '10 1:09pm PST

[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 1:09pm PST 
Mattie according to the HSUS (humane society of the United States) 99% of puppies sold in pet stores are from puppy mills. cry Those that say differently are just trying to sell.
[notify]
Mattie

Loves to fetch!

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 1:12pm PST 
"our town’s pet store on the news"

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=115029

that is so ridiculous poor puppies 99% frown
[notify]

Sable Marie

-insert witty- phrase here-

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 1:18pm PST 
I'm sure there are lots of them here in Philly, however in my neighborhood and the neighborhood bordering, no, no puppies in pet stores.

We're bigger on cats here, adoptions adoptions that is, two stores in my immediate area foster kitties, some have the entire run of the store [They're even trained with commands like dogs, its freaking awesome] others stay in a large ferret looking crate, but get taken out by the staff for wander when its slower during the day.

I can't really bring myself to go to stores selling dogs from 'breeders'
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 1:55pm PST 
We have "Petland" and "Furry Babies" here that sell puppies. Ugh, don't even get me started. silenced Furry Babies is the worst, it's in the mall and they keep all their puppies in cribs. Its disgusting and its hard to even walk past that store, let alone walk past it without shouting something about puppy mills. wink
[notify]
Owen

Is it time for- noms yet?

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 5:58pm PST 
Sable, I'm also in Philly. The big chain around here that sells puppies is Pets Plus (which a group called North Penn Puppy Mill Watch actively protests several times a year). They have stores in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties, and possibly in Jersey as well.

There is also a Petland franchise in Fairless Hills, about 25 miles outside the city.

There are also smaller, independent stores that sell puppies.
[notify]
Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Fri Oct 22, '10 8:24am PST 
In the tiny town where I grew up there was a pet store and they would sell puppies that were brought in by whichever local person's dog had had puppies that they couldn't sell. Definitely NOT good breeders (my best friend's mom was one, sigh) but not puppy mills either. That must be where the 1% comes from thinking
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Oct 22, '10 9:32am PST 
Owen & Sable - fellow ex- Philadelphian here..

There is also Monster Pets off Columbus Ave, near the Best Buy down there.

They sell a ton of dogs and when I checked their income made from their pets from the USDA, I saw yearly they averaged $100,000 on just the sale of puppies.

The store has been protested frequently but the owner is a silenced and says he has a 'family to feed'.. a family that need $100,000 plus all the other money the store makes from selling fish, other small animal (also disagree with this..) and supplies... argh.

Also in Darby is a small Aquarium shop called World's Largest Aquarium that also sells puppies in the back.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Oct 22, '10 9:43am PST 
There's a sort of all purpose home & nursery store that has a pet section in it and sells puppies most of which aren't even purebreds. One time I was there they lied to a lady saying the puppy was purebred and when she saw "mix" on the papers after she paid for it she was livid. She yelled that she wouldn't pay that much for a mix breed and would go to a shelter if she wanted one. They also offer "financing." UGH.

We also have a PetLand nearby. A lot of pet stores closed a long time ago. PetSmart and PetCo's are more common here.

I think pet stores that sell puppies are more common in Chicago and northern suburbs.

Edited by author Fri Oct 22, '10 9:45am PST

[notify]
Owen

Is it time for- noms yet?

Barked: Fri Oct 22, '10 1:59pm PST 
Hey Lilith -- I live near that Monster Pets store, but have never been in there. I didn't know they sold puppies, but now that I do, I will never set foot in there.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3