GO!

raw food=diarrhea?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Osirus

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 7:27pm PST 
so i have been feeding my "puppy" osirus who is now 10 months a combo. of raw chicken breast w/o bone and his eukanuba, rabbit with bones and eukanuba. when i first started him on the combo. diet his stool was, well it had no form and looked like brown pancakes on the ground, but then it starting getting form after a few days, then after he seemed to be getting used to it (formation in the stool) i started giving him rabbit, which he and his tummy loves! just recently i started giving him some eggs with the eukanuba and chicken, about one or two per feeding, and now his stool is back to not having form. is this b/c of the eggs? oor is he not eating enough bone? or what?
whatever help/advise can be given is much appreciated
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 7:32pm PST 
You aren't supposed to feed raw mixed with kibble. There should be AT MINIMUM 8 hours between a raw meal and a kibble meal. Not to mention the kibble you are feeding is hardly ideal... One minute his poor system is being asked to process corn and other nasties, and the next it's being asked to digest raw. Thats taxing on a puppy. Also, most people start slowly... Feeding BONE-IN chicken for a few weeks, then slowly introducing organs and other meats.
I strongly advise you go back to kibble (though please check out the Food and Nutrition forum and pick a better one!) and read up on raw! I would hate to see your pup get sick or have problems as a result of the homework that wasn't done!
[notify]
Nibbler

I love love!

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 7:39pm PST 
A good grain free is Evo (though there are loads, Canidae, Wellness, etc.), though there are others. Blue Buffalo makes a decent grain free too (I think it's called "Wild"). If you are going to switch to raw at some point, try being on that for a while because it might make the switch easier because there are no grains. Nibbler was on grain free before we switched and she has been adjusting very well to raw. We just went cold turkey too, no mixing in kibble. Good luck, I'm new to this too!
[notify]

Kodiak

Rabbit Control- Expert

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 7:40pm PST 
It could certainly be b/c of the eggs, but the biggest concern is to make sure the kibble part of his diet is well separated from any raw part of it, if you aren't doing that already. I took my first tentative steps into raw by adding canned mackerel and mostly cooked scrambled eggs with the shell included, then did mornings prey model raw and evenings kibble before cutting kibble to one meal of 14. If you're following the advice in the So You Think You Want to Feed Raw thread (or a name something like that), I know it's hard to divide up an egg without it being a silly mess, but the last egg I weighed was 2.2 ounces, so depending on the size of the dog that's likely too much at once for a new protein!
[notify]
Rocky

If you don't- claim it, it's- mine!

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 7:43pm PST 
Are you feeding raw and kibble together? From what I understand they digest differently and feeding together can take a toll on your pups digestive system. I believe you are supposed to wait twelve hours to feed raw after kibble and six hours to feed kibble after raw.

In terms of the variety, you could just be transitioning too fast. Try incorporating pieces of the new meat source to that he can already handle, such as the chicken, and slowly increasing until he can handle a full meal of that.

Raw isn't like kibble, the poop will not be regular. You can have soft poop days and hard poop days and anywhere in between depending on how much bone to meat and organ you are feeding and how your pup adjusts.

I'm sure there are alot of other dogster that will be able to fill in the gaps and provide alot more and accurate information. Best of luck!
[notify]
Osirus

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 7:58pm PST 
i would like to thank all the NON SMUG replies i got in return, i can now understand why in the "raw diet" forum there is about a whole paragrah about not beating yourself up if you dont get the raw diet right the first time, and how you shouldnt get discouraged from others that feed a raw diet b/c they've forgotten that they too were new at this.
thanks again for the advice
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 8:12pm PST 
I don't think anyone meant to give you a smug remark smile. We just all really have to push new raw feeders to do LOTS of research before they start. When people don't do their research and just jump in, they tend to create problems and blame it on the diet itself. You have to understand that rawbies get a lot of grief when the problems owners see are really just from owner-error.

I agree with Bam-Bam that you should try to feed raw seperate from kibble. Some dogs can manage it together, but especially in the start, doggie's tummies tend to be very sensitive. You should also try to keep all meals to the same protein (most rawbies start with chicken) and to bone-in meals like leg quarters, thighs, split breasts or whole chickens depending on the size of your dog.

Another problem that can cause loose stool for rawbies is feeding too much. Raw fed dogs should get between 2-3% of their adult body weight each day. All the raw food should be weighed and if you're also feeding kibble, that should also be weighed. Charlie accidentally ate a 2 pound london broil off the counter in addition to his regular food one day, and he had diarrhea all night long. Yuck!

I hope this helps you out a little. Just a final word of advice, almost all new dogs to raw diets will experience some negative side effects to start, this is all part of getting used to raw and detoxing the body. Know that raw foods are about the opposite of kibbles like Eukanuba. Your dog won't be able to completely detox if it's body has to keep switching between Eukanuba and raw.
[notify]
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Sun Oct 17, '10 11:00pm PST 
I second what Charlie said.

Welcome to the world of raw Osirus! You are gorgeous.

We were all new at some point, and I am one of the newer ones here. I've been feeding Max raw for 3 1/2 months now and we are having trouble with diarrhea this week frown

I'd like to add that a common problem is feeding too many new meats too soon. New rabies get so excited at the beginning since it's so much fun to watch your dog chow down that we forget they need to work up to it. I know I definitely made that mistake! I tried to add fish too soon and it caused major diarrhea in the beginning. I'd stick with one bone-in protein source (most people use chicken), but since your dog likes rabbit, you could use that, for at least one week. Don't add another meat source until his diarrhea is gone.

Is there a reason you want to do 1/2 kibble 1/2 raw? Just wondered. I tried it at the beginning but I found it too difficult to figure out if he was getting what he needed. I'm not trying to be smug or snarky, but I also recommend you look for a higher quality kibble if you stick with the 1/2 and 1/2.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Oct 18, '10 6:59am PST 
Absolutely the egg! To avoid icky poop you could try giving new stuff just a little at a time. 1/2 egg for a couple days or even every other day, then a whole egg. I doubt this was due to not enough bone though I am sure Osirus would like you to think so!

Mixing boneless raw with kibble is okay but bony stuff is better as a stand alone meal/chewie/snack. People around here that feed half and half like to feed raw by itself.

Are you reducing the amount of kibble you are feeding when you add in the fresh food? If you don't then you are giving a lot more calories.

Did you do the math? The basic amount of a raw diet is 2% of the ideal adult weight. I have no idea how big Osirus is going to be, 75 pounds? Is so a raw diet would be about 1.5 pounds and half raw would be about .75 pounds or 12 ounces a day. If that is the amount you feed then reduce the kibble by half. If you are feeding about 6 ounces of raw then reduce the kibble by about a quarter per day.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 10:38am PST 
I am a 50/50 feeder. If I had a beautiful ten month old Siberian furboy, he would get half his kibble in the morning with an egg every other day, and 1.5 percent of his projected weight in meat for dinner. That works out to 3%, which isn't a lot for a young Siberian.

Siberians are famous for having tender tummies, so you need to go a little slower.

I agree on dumping the Eukanuba. You want a kibble with no corn, no soy, no wheat with meat meal named first - or at least second, if meat is first - and no menadione. Check at Tractor Supply or a local feed store. Canidae Chicken & Rice was good for Lily when she had colitis.

Edited by author Tue Oct 19, '10 10:39am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2