GO!

Tiny dogs at the dog park?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sun Sep 19, '10 8:02am PST 
We finally have a dog park, but I don't know if I should bring Princesse. I was there last night with Bunny and all the dogs on the small dog side were his size ( 20 pounds). Thats still 4 times Princesse's sizeeek Not to mention that she snaps at dogs that get in her face. She doesn't bite, just airs snaps. Would that qualify her as agressive?

Edited to change posting dog

Edited by author Sun Sep 19, '10 8:04am PST

[notify]
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sun Sep 19, '10 8:10am PST 
Well, I have a dog park and they have a special enclosure for small dogs but no one goes in there(weird right?) and I like Pepsie to meet new dogs and socialize so I just take her in the normal dog enclosure(she is only 6 lbs!). I supervise her very carefully and follow her around(she usually just stays around us) and I will clip her on her leash if I feel unsafe around some dogs. But, Pepsie isn't hyper and doesn't run around but she doesn't like puppies and other dogs jumping around her and she sometimes growls but she is tolerating puppies and other dogs better now.
this is the dog park we go to
but it is your choice wink
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Sep 19, '10 8:17am PST 
If the small dog section turns out to consistently have mostly dogs closer to Bunny's size, and Princesse air-snaps at dogs that come close to her, I wouldn't think she's the best candidate for the dog park. I've seen dogs get hurt accidentally, playing with much bigger dogs. Not because either the big dogs or the small dogs did anything wrong, but simply because the big dog stumbled and accidentally stepped on the smaller dog.

There might, though, be other tiny-dog owners who'd be interested in using the small dog section of the park for a scheduled playtime. Work out an agreed time with people whose dogs are, say, twelve pounds or under, and Princesse could get to have playtime at the dog park, and get more practice being around other dogs. If she gets more comfortable interacting with other dogs, then she might do just fine playing even when the 20-pounders are there.
[notify]

The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Sun Sep 19, '10 8:26am PST 
I bring my pugs in the large dog section regularly, but they are very solid and 25 and 20 lbs so not really small. With a tiny dog like Princess Id be careful and Id never use the large dog section unless I personally knew every dog in there. Its not really about the big dogs being mean or dangerous, but a trip or an accidental step on or prey drive could get a very small dog killed.

I have a 100 lb dog who is very very gently with little guys and I wouldnt want him to be in the dog park with a 6lb dog and Id likely be annoyed the dog was in the large dog section. Its not fair to put the bigger dogs in that position, its too dangerous. Dog parks are really not the best bet for socialization anyway, usually they are too crowded (Im speaking of city dog parks) I think its best to hit the dog park at quiet times and when you know the dogs there

Edited by author Sun Sep 19, '10 8:28am PST

[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sun Sep 19, '10 8:27am PST 
Sounds like a good plan, Addy. I have noticed that people around here don't even seem to walk their tiny dogs, thoughconfused There was a mini poodle there for a bit as well, but her owners were babying her and overprotecting her. They picked her up every time she looked uncomfortable, till someone said let her down and get used to things , or at least that is what Ceasar would say ( they really said thatlaugh out loud ) As controversial as he can be, I thought that was probably good advice . I suspect she won't be back thoughfrown
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sun Sep 19, '10 8:30am PST 
Fantastic Five, I was on the small dog side even with Bunny, I would *not* venture on the big side with Princesse. My concern was even on the small side the dogs were much bigger than her.
[notify]
Sassafras

My head is- broken, not my- heart!!

Barked: Sun Sep 19, '10 10:35am PST 
Sassy, due to abuse and head trauma, was extremely unfriendly with small dogs too. She's six pounds, and we lived next to a 25-and-under small dog park that I would take her to in hopes that positive socialization would help her. I was also rehabbing a little rescue who was four pounds (Chihuahua) and I would take her there as well. Kiki (the rescue) was waaaaayy smaller than everyone else, but she held her own. She got tumbled around a little bit, but NEVER was hurt and made an incredibly fast social recovery. It's hard still with Sas and she still growls when other dogs are in her face, but it is NOT aggressive for a little dog to do that and she has been getting better.

I think maybe you should try and organize a couple small group playdates first to get your little cutie pie used to things.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sun Sep 19, '10 5:21pm PST 
Well, I brought her and Bunny this evening and it went really wellsmileI kept her on my lap for awhile , then put her down. There was just one dog that wouldn't leave her alone and she just backed away and didn't even snap. I think she liked the 2 pugs best, because they didnt get in her face.smile
[notify]
Winnie Mae

Just let me jump- it!

Barked: Sun Sep 19, '10 6:28pm PST 
The only place I'd feel safe bringing ANY do to in our dog park is the small-dog area, because there are some super DA dogs brought to the park like every day! Seriously, why bring a dog like thatshrug

But the small dog side is usually pretty nice. I've known a few people with large breed pups that go in there toolaugh out loud
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Sep 20, '10 8:51am PST 
Way to go Princess! I keep thinking I should try to convince the hospital to fence their backyard and turn it into a members only dog park so we'd have on in town. laugh out loud Who started one in your town?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5