GO!

Dry Irritated Skin

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

The Boys- (Manny &- Salty)

Best Buds for- Life!

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 10:08am PST 
Our current foster has some seriously dry irritated skin. Its taken me a while to notice, he has thick curly hair and I never saw him picking at it. It looks like flea irritation, but he doesnt have any fleas and he's been with us for about a month and a half so he's been on preventative since we've had him. He also is way stinky for a pup that just had a bath a couple weeks ago. He also chews his nails, like off, not so much that they'll bleed, but they get pretty ragged. I feel awful and I want to give him a good look over and a nice bath but lately every time we try to give him a good look over he'll try to nibble us and Im afraid if we rile him up too much he really try to bite us.

He's been on TOTW pacific stream since we've had him also, so I wouldnt think it would be a food allergy.

Have yall ever dealt with skin irritation? What else should we try to put him on? Fish oil? Any advice would be great.
[notify]
♥ Mya- ♥

Born to Retrieve

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 10:17am PST 
I would put him on fish oil. Mya has irratated skin too, so she is on fish oil and her skin isn't as dry. I would say its worth a try. Good luck on helping with his skin! smile
[notify]
The Boys- (Manny &- Salty)

Best Buds for- Life!

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 10:31am PST 
Do I just get a regular fish oil supplement from Wally World or do I need to get a specific dog supplement?
[notify]

Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 10:55am PST 
Get liquid wild alaskan salmon oil from petco or grizzly salmon oil. It cost a lil more but lasts forever. If you do get gelcaps at wmart make sure there is no added soy, or other things that the dog could be allergic too.

It could be the TOTW...bc my bulldog can't even eat it. He has to eat Natural Balance Limited Ingred Formulas.

Also, addding Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar to the food or water might help. It helped Brodie tremendously. But, some dogs hate the taste. My other dogs hate it.

Also try an oatmeal shampoo and conditioner like Tropiclean Oxy Med.

Edited by author Sun Aug 29, '10 10:55am PST

[notify]