GO!

How to know when it's time?

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

Diesel

Don't worry,- be happy!

Barked: Wed Aug 25, '10 12:35am PST 
My darling boy Diesel has been fighting Stage V Lymphoma since March of this year. He underwent chemo and went into remission. He started feeling bad again the end of July / beginning of August and it was confirmed that he'd relapsed. The oncologist started a new chemo on 8/4 and he had his second treatment yesterday (8/24). He didn't seem to experience many side effects with the original chemo protocol, but he just does not seem well at all on this chemo. It's 3 weeks between treatments and he only seemed to feel good about 1.5 weeks. We thought we'd give it another try to see if it was the chemo or because he was so sick initially. Well, it's only been one day, but he obviously doesn't feel well. cry

How or when do we know it's time? He has been eating still (not today though after the chemo), he still goes out to the bathroom, he still wants to (and does) play, he still loves seeing people! So in that regard, he sounds good! However, he's on chemo, he has to take prednisone at home, then something for diarrhea, pepcid, and now possibly something for naseau. He lays around most of the day, but really doesn't sleep well. We go to bed (of course he sleeps with us!) and then have to get up a couple of hours later. He just seems to want to move locations. (He doesn't necessarily have to go out to the bathroom.) Maybe it's the meds making him fidgety.

There's nothing we won't do for him, but at this point I question whether we're actually doing him more harm than good ... because we want to keep him with us. Then there's also the hope that he'll go into remission like last time and enjoy more good times. I don't want to do anything too early, but I also don't want to wait too long. He's definitely not at the "too long" point now, but I don't want to get to that point.

When he lets us know that it is time, our personal vet can come to our home to take care of him. I think I would like that rather than taking him to the vet clinic / hospital. Has anyone done this? My thoughts are that he'd be in his home and happy. However, he does actually like going to the vet's and seeing all the people.

So many questions ..... if you have any thoughts or personal experiences to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
[notify]
goldie

shes so cute

Barked: Wed Aug 25, '10 1:41am PST 
so sorry about your lovely dog, your vet will tell you it's time but only you can decide when to put him to sleep. In January when my little dog Goldie started with diarrhea we took her to the vets for treatment. The treatment continued but so did the diarrhea. At the end of january the vet said put her to sleep she suspected cancer but could not do a biopsy as she said goldie would die on the operating table.
Goldie was still enjoying walkies and a lot of chicken to try and build her up. In March she stopped going walkies and we knew the time was coming. She had lost a lot of weight, she was only a small dog. A very hard decision to make but you have to think is your dog suffering.

on 31st march I saw goldie walk across the room and fall she was having a fit, my husband later told me she had one earlier that day. Luckily all the family were here to say goodbye to her. I picked her up in a blanket and we rushed her off to the vet where she had another fit. The vet said the cancer had reached her brain. It was very upsetting seeing her fitting. We had her put to sleep. I regret letting her get to that stage but deciding the right time is so difficult.dog
[notify]
Alice

I am the Keeper

Barked: Wed Aug 25, '10 2:39am PST 
when they arnt having fun anymore
when the bad days out number the good days

make a list of the 5 favorite things, when they cant do them

these are all guidelines

but the most important one I think, is listen to your heart and look into your dogs eyes, those 2 things will tell you

angel feather kisses to you
[notify]

Ainjel - In Loving- Memory 8/25

Queen!

Barked: Wed Aug 25, '10 7:45am PST 
You will know when it is time - Remember the 5 things she liked to do and when they can't do them - then you know its time. My time was last night at 1:30 am and now i'm in peace... and running free...
[notify]
shadow

goofy

Barked: Wed Aug 25, '10 9:19am PST 
for me,it would definitely be time to stop the poison,(which is what chemo is, he is not going to be cured)) and do all the supportive things that make him feel good.
[notify]
River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Wed Aug 25, '10 11:13am PST 
hug Your baby will tell you....and your heart will know...hug
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Wed Aug 25, '10 11:52am PST 
We lost our beloved dal Sooner to Lymphoma last year. It was the hardest decision I ever made, to put her gently down. But you could SEE it in her eyes. She was ready. I would of spent all the time and the money in the world to keep her alive but she was ready. You will know when it's time. Your love for your pup will tell you. hug
[notify]

Barked: Mon Oct 11, '10 7:18pm PST 
he will tell you when its time ive he doesnt seem him self youll know both of my dogs went down suddenly one hung on for 2 days because she collapsed on a weekend the other one was okay in the morning but by 1pm he was dying he was the first dog ive had to have put down he was 11 yrs old he was sick for 2 weeks his niece i lost 13 months later she was 13 yrs old the vet let me stay with both of them it will take some time to get over him but at least he wont be in pain like he is now
[notify]

Barked: Mon Oct 11, '10 7:19pm PST 
he will tell you when its time ive he doesnt seem him self youll know both of my dogs went down suddenly one hung on for 2 days because she collapsed on a weekend the other one was okay in the morning but by 1pm he was dying he was the first dog ive had to have put down he was 11 yrs old he was sick for 2 weeks his niece i lost 13 months later she was 13 yrs old the vet let me stay with both of them it will take some time to get over him but at least he wont be in pain like he is now
[notify]