GO!

What can i use to get rid and prevent ticks/Fleas...

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
PJ

Good Boy PJ!!

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 3:59pm PST 
Hello all, Pj is about 1yr and 3 months old... I've noticed thatt he had a coupl of ticks which is grose if you ask me. i was wondering what you guys use to get rid of them and prevent them from going on him... I know there is shampoos but there is so many on the market that i don't want to get one that will hurt him. what do you guys recommend me? it'd be great to know what i should avoid also, btw i know that there are collars but i don't like the idea of gim with one since he's an inside dog. feed back would be greaat
[notify]
Tucker John

I Love Life!

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 4:36pm PST 
Advantix
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 7:30pm PST 
I agree with Advantix.
[notify]

PJ

Good Boy PJ!!

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 11:06pm PST 
Ok, thanks now where can i find this product... is this something i can find at petsmart or petco also where can i get a good deal on this stuff and should i use it on a daily basis or how do you guys use it...
[notify]
Tucker John

I Love Life!

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 11:24pm PST 
Its once a month drops down his back. You can get from your vet, petsmart, or places like 1800petmeds.com, petshed.com (best price), petcarerx.com
[notify]
PJ

Good Boy PJ!!

Barked: Tue Aug 24, '10 4:02pm PST 
ok, sounds good, whatt's the specific name so i can aim for the exact one and so i can't grab a knock off brand, thanks
[notify]
Tucker John

I Love Life!

Barked: Tue Aug 24, '10 4:40pm PST 
K9 Advantix
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Aug 24, '10 5:49pm PST 
I don't use chemical pesticides on my dog anymore. It was either advantix or frontline that gave him serious skin sores. It was terrible.

If you do not have an infestation and there are not fleas all over your house, i would not put chemicals on your dog. There is a spray called Natures Arc with neem oil and a shampoo from the same company that works good. i used them on my dog and flea combed him daily. No fleas. Also vacuume your floors and furnishings. Wash beds regularly, or run them on the hot setting for 30 minutes in the dryer. Doing these things will prevent fleas with out putting a chemical pesticide on your dog.

I see he is fluffy, try a furninator. These dog combs remove dander and flea debris from the coat as well as a flea comb on a short hair dog.

I don't feed my dog chemicals and don't put them on him either. Personally I think artificial ingredients and chemicals are bad for dogs.

A high quality natural diet also helps prevent fleas because it promotes a healthy immune system.
[notify]
Tucker John

I Love Life!

Barked: Tue Aug 24, '10 6:54pm PST 
Sorry but that natural stuff does NOT work for ticks. My dogs are in the woods all the time and we tried neem oil and such, it was horrible.

I can stretch out the Advantix to about once every month and a half sometimes two months and it still prevents the ticks awesome, I never see any.

Edited by author Tue Aug 24, '10 6:54pm PST

[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Aug 25, '10 3:16pm PST 
I just pull them off. The ticks have to be on a dog longer than 48 hours for lyme disease to spread. Milton has not gotten any ticks in a while. The arc naturals products also have citronella in them, a repellent. I got a lot more ticks than my dog did. I started spraying the stuff on dew rags and wearing them while hiking in the south.

Natural pest control works when combined with a clean environment, regular grooming, a high quality diet, a healthy immune system and a little extra work. I successfully kept fleas off my dog in the deep south using natural methods. Currently I live in a flealess ecosystem.

People always whine about natural products being in-effective and this spreads rumors about them. They work ya'll.

Advantix and those other products have caused more problems over this summer than they have previous years. Saw a couple news stories on the subject. Fleas become immune to pesticides and the companies may be making them even stronger. Dogs on the other hand to not reproduce at the same speeds as the flea. after what happened with my dog, i would never subject him to a chemical pesticide AGAIN!

The skin sores that broke out on my dog were far worse than irritations the fleas could of caused.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2