GO!

What's in your closet?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 5:13am PST 
So based on the Small Dog's Syndrome article on the evils of dressing up your dog, I'll open this coversation. Do you dress your dog up?

I'll admit to a weakness for sweaters. He needs one in the winter and I get bored so he has several and I'm always looking out for new one. It also helps he has a grandmother who will knit him custom sweaters. He has a long sleeved? legged? one that I can't wait to try out when the snow comes.

He also has a tshirt he wears during storms. I spray it with DAP and it helps calm him down. Ok, there are also several other tee that I've bought because they're cute, but I've never put on him. Other than the storm shirt, he hates clothes and he looks kind of dumb in them because his fluff sticks out all over.
[notify]
♥Chlo- e- Chanel&heart- s;

Miss Chloe- Ba-by!

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 5:47am PST 
Chloe has dresses, hoodies, tees, sweaters and coats.She also has a ton of bands and bows for her hair. I do dress her up but not on a daily basis. I don't think clothes contributes to the small dog syndrome.
[notify]
Pommies!

Fluff and Fun!

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 6:13am PST 
Bailey has an Indianapolis Colts football jersey that he'll wear on big game days, not every Sunday. He actually loves dressing up and prances around to show off his good looks. That's pretty much the only thing I put on him anymore since he has his full coat, so he doesn't need a winter coat anymore.

Saige on the other hand hates dressing up. I tortured her all last winter with coats since she was between her puppy coat and her adult coat, so she got cold really fast. On slightly cold days, she wore a winter jacket, but on really cold days she had a snowsuit that covered all 4 legs. I'm guessing she's outgrown all of these now. I'll be reevaluating in a couple of months if her fur is thick enough to keep her warm this year, or if I'll need to buy another jacket for her to help her out until her full pom coat comes in. She's more sensitive to temperature extremes than Bailey is.
[notify]

Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 7:58am PST 
Bingley has some things for winter. For being a dog that can't take the heat, he sure is a freeze baby, lol. So I have a couple t-shirts for him to wear in the house and on colder walks. He also has 2 sweaters (one he won through a photo contest, the other I got for $5 because it had a small hole in it, bargain!!) for when it's really cold and/or snowy, for walks only. He'd get too hot in the house with them on. He has I think 2 sweatshirts, again for cold walks. A raincoat (just bought that, curious to see how that works on rainy autumn walks) and a fleece jacket. I loved the fleece jacket so much that I bought him a second when they went on clearance. It works great for cold winter walks!

I also bought him doggy boots because a lot of our winter walks are on snow and ice in the woods, but he hasn't taken to those yet, working up to liking them, lol.

I see nothing wrong with dressing up your dog if the dog doesn't mind, or if it's weather related. I would get so annoyed when people would comment about his sweaters in snarky voices... hello, it's cold out, you're wearing a jacket, too. I see lots of big dogs wearing their jackets in the winter, too way to go I think people forget that dogs get cold, too.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 7:58am PST 
Jewel doesn't have anything other than the bow the groomer gave her so far but I'm planning on buying her a few things! We have wicked winters here it can hit -55 with the wind chill, so I'm going to get her a coat, a sweater or two, some more bows (I will MAKE her wear them) and I saw some funky collars on Etsy.
I saw a sign at the groomer's that they're looking for people to bring dogs that like to be held and pet to the nursing home and I think Jewel would like that. And I think they'd like to see funky collars and bows on her when she comes to visit...after a few obedience classes that is.
[notify]
Gus

did someone say- 'cheese'??

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 8:09am PST 
Gus actually likes wearing clothes... he will run over and sit for me when I pull something out. I read that shirts calm little dogs (the whole pressure wrap thing).... maybe that's why he likes it.

I make most of his clothes. Not really up for spending $15 - $20 a shirt/sweater. The only time I buy him store bought clothes are if they are on sale (got his winter coat for $3! Season price was $30, it was onsale during the summer). I make a lot of his clothes out of baby tshirts I pick up at the consignment store or garage sales for $1, and then alter.... they work great for him.

The article is informative, but I don't agree totally. I've had big dogs, and small dogs... my small dogs don't act differently because I spoil them. I think I spoiled my big dogs more! I think small dogs do behave differently than big ones.... but no they should not be allowed to get away with things big dogs wouldn't (agression, etc)....

Clothes are a fun part of them tho! wink

Edited by author Sat Aug 7, '10 8:13am PST

[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 9:10am PST 
I have a few winter coats for both mine a few lighter ones and heavier ones for the real cold days. Each has a bandana, booties so their feet dont freeze in the cold, I think that is it.
[notify]
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 9:42am PST 
Pepsie has a sundress(reversable, comes with a flower pin), a green dog tee shirt(her very first outfit), skirts and shirt(sewn together, has a very small pocket), a pink vest(with a touch of orange and other shades of pink,plaid), a bumblebee costume(for halloween of course), a santa hat (for christmas and helping decorate the christmas tree), petsmart bandana (which doesnt fit her anymore), leg warmers and scarf for winter(pink and polka dotted), two winter coats(light brown and pink), and a hoodie(black and pink)puppy

Edited by author Sat Aug 7, '10 9:50am PST

[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 9:52am PST 
I dress Treader up sometimes and am unafraid to admit it.smile
[notify]
Isabelle

Tougher than I- look!! :)

Barked: Sat Aug 7, '10 11:46am PST 
Of course, I have clothes! I'm a naked Crested. I'd freeze without my sweaters, cause it gets cold up here in NY.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4