GO!

Dog shot to death at dog park

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Aug 4, '10 6:26pm PST 
Link:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/pawprintpost/post/201 0/08/dog-shot-to-death-at-dog-park/1

Longer article:
http://www.wbaltv.com/news/24513015/detail.html

"Anne Arundel County's executive has asked for a "thorough and complete investigation" after police said an off-duty federal officer shot and killed a Siberian husky at a dog park."
[notify]
Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 12:33pm PST 
Bear Bear, the dog that was shot and killed by an off-duty federal officer in an off leash dog park, was a former foster of Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue. www.siberescue.com

The local Anne Arundel County police at first tried to brush this under the rug without investigation. After much work from the community and dog lovers from around the country and even some other countries, the County leadership demanded a full investigation, which is currently underway.

News on Bear Bear has been on USAToday.com and cnn.com - national news as well as all over Baltimore, MD tv, radio, and print news, as well as Washington DC news.

Please go to the petition site to sign the petition to keep this investigation going until the truth is found, whatever it may be.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/justice-foe-bear-bear

If you are on Facebook, there are 2 or 3 groups started...Justice for Bear Bear and Justice for Bear-Bear. You can follow the news there and even hear from Bear Bear's family.

Please help us get justice!
[notify]
Mystique- 'Tiki'

Wooo Awooo!

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 12:47pm PST 
**Nosing this Up** We signed (from facebook links) and have read most of the articles. This is HORRIBLE!!!! We need to get more dogs and their people aware of what happened!

~ Tiki & Momma Heather
[notify]

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 1:19pm PST 
It is astonishing to me how many people we trust to enforce the law, and carry several weapons (a handgun being only one of many), who cannot differentiate between play and aggression, much less when it would actually be appropriate to shoot.
[notify]
Ziggy- Stardust

I am not a- Jackson Pollock- painting.

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 1:39pm PST 
I have signed! This is horrible. There was no real cause for this moron to shoot Bear-Bear. Grab a collar and yank them apart!
I hope they sue/prosecute/hang him up to dry.
How can we trust that our dogs are safe at the park if idiots like this can shoot them simply because he felt like it?

eek
[notify]
Weaver

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 2:13pm PST 
Lets make sure this never happens again and instead of getting it twisted up and shoved under the carpet the man pays as he should.
[notify]
Pepsie

*Pepsie the- Papillon*

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 8:22pm PST 
why do people treat dogs like this what have the dogs done to them???cry
[notify]
Louie (with- Henry and- Champ)

Shibas who think- they are- Goldens!

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 8:30pm PST 
I also signed this. It is unfortunate on several levels. The guardian did have a role in this too. I can't imagine telling a relative/friend/anyone that something happened to their dog in my care--it's sad on so many levels. The officer needs to be punished on some level for sure, or the whole police department loses credibility in the community. I'd make him do 1,000 hours of community service and send him into schools and rougher communities to talk about responsible dog ownership. That makes him an example, forces him to deal with what he did and shows the department acknowledges this very unnecessary tragedy.
[notify]
Cairo

Barked: Thu Aug 12, '10 3:36am PST 
Just an update on Bear Bear and the ongoing investigation.
The 2 Facebook Groups have been "merged" into 1 group "Justice for Bear-Bear". (Note the hyphen.) The Maryland State Attorney is now handling the investigation, after Arundel County Police Dept botched it up. The State Attorney just announced yesterday that they most likely will not have a decision regarding charges against the shooter Keith Shephard, until next Monday. Bear Bear's owners have retained an attorney and may pursue a civil suit; it appears Bear Bear's owners might have suffered various civil rights violations, at the hands of the police. There is ongoing investigation into the police officers' abuse of power, including the swift police coverup that was kicked into play. The Bear Bear case has shed light on the overlooked but growing problem of police officers fatally shooting dogs that are innocent and in situations that are entirely unjustifiable. Often these officers receive no reprimand for their actions. Please stay tuned because the outcome of this case is significant as a precedent. On my website www.huskydigs.com, I've provided contact info for the local, county and state authorities investigating this matter -- please contact them to urge a thorough investigation and sentencing for the killer, and keep the pressure on. Originally the police wanted to brush this under the rug but due to the outcry (from social networks, such as this), the issue became too big to ignore. Thanks to everyone who's worked for Justice for Bear Bear.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 10:37am PST 
I just sign. This is unreal, who takes a gun to a dog park?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2