GO!

Canadae good and bad?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tundra

I'm growling- bigger now

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 7:12pm PST 
I am just curious about the canadae. I doubt that I will switch Katana to it because of the price but I just want to know your thoughts on it. Both good and bad. I know Maggie is on TOTW and is doing great on it but I am not sure Katana would do as well on it.
[notify]
Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 9:49pm PST 
Hey there, I know quite a few pet owners who are feeding Canidae and they are very happy with it. It is less expensive than TOTW at least in this area. The ingredients are great and it is a US made food, thats huge to us.
I fed Canidae for awhile before I started to get into raw and Orijen. My dogs did well on it but I wanted to try raw and now I am hooked on the results.
[notify]
Isabelle RIP

Pumpkin Pie- Puppy 2009-2010

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 8:47am PST 
I rotate between Canidae and TOTW, Isabelle loves both. I love how Canidae is not sold at big box stores and it isn't to pricey. Also everyone I have spoken to at the company is very nice. They will send you coupons if you call and ask. Isabelle's coat improved drastically when we switched her from Iams large breed puppy food to Canidae.
[notify]

Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 9:02am PST 
I worked with a rescue in TX that fed nothing but Canidae. I can tell you the food is a good quality food. I never had a problem with it and the rescues loved it!! I'm looking to get one of my fosters from TX sent to me in PA and the first thing I did was find out who locally sells Canidae...cheer
[notify]
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 10:18am PST 
Hiwave

Canidae is on our list to try out next (the lamb one). What I gather is, it is a very good food, but you should transition very very slowly.

I am impressed by the price and high calorie content per cup. If we fed the chicken one it would only cost us $75 a year!
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 10:29am PST 
You can look into 4Health(tractor supply) or Diamond Naturals, Kirkland signature(if you have costco membership), they are very similar but cost less and certainly a step up from alpo. If you can afford to feed all dogs TOTW then thats even better, I'm sure Katana will do well on it.

Edited by author Mon Aug 2, '10 10:30am PST

[notify]
Hippo

Barked: Tue Aug 3, '10 1:33am PST 
Hippo grew up eating Canidae with out a problem. The company is awesome and sponsors dog events such as hunting trials, dock diving competitions and Bark in the Park in San Jose, Ca (a fun day for families and their dogs). Everyone I've met from the company was always nice. I stopped feeding it because the rising cost of the food, so I switched to raw (which was cheaper for me) and Hippo flourished on it (increased mobility since he has severe hip displasia). So with raw I've stayed for the past 1.5 years.
[notify]
Swayze

Swayze-Mommy's- Speed Bump

Barked: Tue Aug 3, '10 7:59am PST 
We switched our dogs to Canidae, and it has been wonderful, especially with one of their gas issues (not going to point any fingersshh )

We get our's at a good price, we go to Pet Supplies Plus and get a 44lb bag for $50.00. way to go Which is only $30.00 more a month than the lowest brand and is actually cheaper than Science Diet and is a better food, go figure that one. shrug

Of course I am not sure if you have a Pet Supplies Plus, guess you can find out on their website. http://www.petsuppliesplus.com/

dog
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Tue Aug 3, '10 8:08am PST 
Canidae is pretty good stuff, and usually pretty affordable. Is there a reason, though, that you are hesitant to try TOTW with your other? I think it's superior to Canidae, in my opinion, and many, many dogs do great on it. Still, Canidae isn't a bad option. Just curious why you don't want to try TOTW smile
[notify]
Tundra

I'm growling- bigger now

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 10:17am PST 
Katana can be kind of picky but I have tried him on TOTW recently and he loves it. I was surprised but then he always surprises me. I do adore the big lug and thats why we are now going with TOTW with him. The pups will be switched to it when they are all grown up and ready for the big dog food. At 19 weeks now they are still growing pups that when they hit growth spurts they lose some weight to the point you would think they weren't being fed. The vet I talked to said this is normal for some dogs. I spoke with another vet and was told the same thing.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2