GO!

A groomers vent

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Jasmine Lula

Sweet Girl

Barked: Fri Jul 23, '10 3:22pm PST 
Why oh why do people insist on dematting their severely matted dog? What possible reason besides being selfish could there be? Its totally uncomfortable for the dog to be dematted, its bad for its skin to stay matted... the dog doesnt care what it looks like, why not just say "yes, do whats best for my dog and shave her".?? Its hair, it grows back. Ugh.

Had a client with a severely matted goldendoode today that refused to have him shaved and I told him sorry I dont torture dogs. confused
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Fri Jul 23, '10 4:53pm PST 
Bama gets little mats under his ears. I always just cut them off. No one can see them and the ears hide it.

That's another thing that dang annoying lady at the salon did (without my permission) started trying to comb out these mats. She was acting like they were horrible. Bama gets groomed very often so I knew it was just a small one. I told her I just cut it out bc the hair gets too thick there anyway. She said 'oh you should never do that, just get some detangler and comb them out' Bama didn't like it one bit when she was combing through it. He even cried out once.
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Fri Jul 23, '10 7:44pm PST 
Lol I said the same thing to this one lady with a bichon mix "I dont torture dogs" The way I figure it if you cared so much about keeping the dog with hair length then maybe you should have combed your dog out regularly. If you dont have time or your dog wont let you or whatever the excuse is that makes no difference to me. There are lots of mats there the dog has to be shaved. The only safe way.
[notify]

Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 5:51am PST 
Yeah that makes sense!
The only place we have issues with mats is under the eats next to his ear opening. I am guessing it's because when I brush him and comb him a lot of the time I probably skip over that area.
He used to get them under his arms back before we found frontline plus...I think it was the way he would scratch. But, thankfully he's itchy no more!
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 3:47pm PST 
At the shop I work at, a client told another groomer, said that her vet insisted that the goldendoodle breed should NEVER be shaved?!?!silenced
[notify]
Jasmine Lula

Sweet Girl

Barked: Sat Jul 24, '10 6:28pm PST 
Whaaat? That would be a lot of matted doodles running around in this world. laugh out loud
[notify]
Reggie

Barked: Sat Jul 31, '10 3:18pm PST 
I hear ya! I give people three options:
1. Take dog home, comb it out yourself and then come back.
2. We start fresh and shave it off.
3. I charge you $60/hour on top of the cost of the groom....(only one lady took me up on that offer and I groomed her shih tzu for $160)

You can demat safely and painlessly but it take time, skill and proper tools. And for groomers time is money...but funny how some people don't see thatwink
[notify]
Wolfie

ZzzzzZzzzz.

Barked: Wed Aug 11, '10 7:08pm PST 
Oh gosh, you have no idea how irritating it is to sit there and tell a customer that their dog is TOO matted to keep the fur. They get upset and are like "well, can't you brush it out!?"

why can't YOU brush out your dog at home! UGH! We are groomers. Not miracle workers.
Sometimes.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Aug 11, '10 9:42pm PST 
Wow. When I took Jewel to the woman I want to groom her I was trying to win her over. laugh out loud I was like, "Please take us as clients, please take us." I told her what I would like but that I knew she had matts from her previous home and to do what needed to be done. Maybe I'm a pushover.
[notify]
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Thu Aug 12, '10 5:31am PST 
I'm a bather, not an actual groomer, but it drives us all nuts! I just try to explain to them that their dog will be in PAIN if we try to demat them after a certain point, and then not only will their dog hate coming to the groomer, but they will probably hate being brushed at home even more! Some people have said "Oh, she can handle it" like their dog has some exceptional pain tolerance. We charge an extra $15 for very 30 minutes of dematting. I think we need to raise our prices because that doesn't deter a lot of people.
In my opinion, you EARN the right to have a dog and that means choosing a dog you can care for. Don't get a long/curly haired dog if you're not going to take care of it! Or at least chose a cut that is easy for you to manage! That's why I have my cocker in a lamb cut instead of the breed cut, I just don't have the time to brush out that skirt every day!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5