GO!

Whoa am i doing this wrong?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Diesel

Did someone say- Dinner!?!?!?!?!

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 8:06am PST 
Ok i am trying run numbers and kind of get an idea of what i can expect to pay every two weeks for food. According to the spreadsheet Rambo should get 7.70lbs per week and Diesel should get 13.30lbs per week. If i add these and times it by 2 to get the amount per lbs for two weeks i get 42lbs total per two weeks. Then if i take that number and multiply that by like $2.25 in case i can't find any good sales i get $94.50. Is that right? If so this is so not the way to go for me. frown

I get a 28lbs bag of dog food for $55 every two weeks. I was kinda hoping i wouldn't have to go too much higher than that feeding raw.

Is this doable on my budget? Also i don't have a freezer so i can't buy in bulk.
[notify]
Butters

~7lbs. of- spoiled rotten~

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 8:10am PST 
How much do Diesel and Rambo weigh each?
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 8:11am PST 
Think about it this way - at least half your diet can be chicken. $2.25 for chicken is really absolutely insane.. at least in most parts around here.

I am sure without having to hit upon a lucky sales you can find chicken hovering at $1 or below. That helped cut down a lot with feeding the three here, especially with Lantis.

Then you have to shop for the red meats. Pork is generally way cheaper than beef..(here about $1.60 a pound or less) I agree there is some shopping to do, if I just went to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's to buy the dogs' meat I'd run through my paycheck in about 1 week, seeing as some of the meat runs about $7 a pounds there..

We don't have an extra freezer either, but you've got a good few weeks on just chicken to shop and see where the cheapest other meats are. You'd be surprised to see how much fits into the freezer above the fridge. smile
[notify]

Diesel

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 8:17am PST 
Butters Rambo weighs around 55lbs and Diesel hovers between 90-95lbs depending on the day it seems
[notify]
Butters

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 8:37am PST 
Like Lillith said, the majority of your diet for the first 3ish weeks will be chicken only. Then on after, at least half of your diet should consist of chicken. I find sales on chicken below $1/lb all the time. It all depends on the cut each week for each sale. One week I'd find whole chickens under $1 and the next I'd find split chicken breasts under $1. Walmart and the other grocery stores almost always have large 10lb bags of chicken quarters in the $.49-.69/lb range.

I think my numbers are way off. Lol. I did the weight of each dog and calculated that you'd need 20.3lbs a week if each were fed at 2% of their current weight.
[notify]
Diesel

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 8:40am PST 
Butters i get 21lbs per week for both
[notify]
Abby

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 8:44am PST 
In my area (Southern California), I've never seen chicken for less than $1.75/lb.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 10:13am PST 
Abby, Costco chicken? It used to be $1 a pound whole. Looking through the flyers that came yesterday this week Ralph's has chicken bits for $1 a pound, don't know about enhancing. I should go get some beef ribs, $1 a pound! Von's has Foster Farms whole for $1.29 a pound, that should be unenhanced.

Ads read the ads. Buy in bulk when it is low. It goes in cycles. Some weeks nothing is a good deal. Steak for only $6 a pound, big whoop.

Diesel, feeding that much meat you are going to need a freezer to take advantage of sale prices. I could get by with one good enough sale a month to feed Max for a month. When I started I could feed chicken/pork/beef organs for about $1 a pound which would be about $90 a month for you. The $20 a month I spent seemed like so much but compared to kibble it was less.

To feed your dogs this week from those sales would come to 21 pounds of whole chicken @ 1.30 per pound and be $27. Twice that would be $54 and you are paying $55 for kibble? Same price. Sales, I love my sales.

Chicken quarters are sold at Walmart for $.50-.80 a pound? Some bags are enhanced and some aren't.

Keep shopping, meat shopping is fun. You can always give your small scores as meaty bone treats if you aren't ready to commit and don't have freezer space.
[notify]
Butters

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 10:19am PST 
Yup, my local Walmart has 10lb bags of chicken quarters at $.59/lb. Food Lion has the same sized bags for $.49/lb. I looked at them more than once and it's only water added. No solution! big grin
[notify]
Diesel

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 10:23am PST 
I am ready to commit to raw. I know i will need to get a freezer. I am planning on getting one as soon as i get some extra cash which should either be next month or August. I am planning on doing chicken for about 2-3 weeks depending on how they take to it and that will be towards the end of July so hopefully i will be able to get one pretty soon after that.
I am not gonna lie though, i am super duper nervous about this. I am afraid that i won't be able to afford it and i am also afraid of the space issue.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3