GO!

breed standards

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 4:41pm PST 
I know this has been discussed before but I am still tying to figure this one out. I met what seemed to be a well bred Chihuahua the other day. It looked very different than Princesse. At the same time it seemed very extreme . It was actually bug eyed and had just had surgery ( not sure if it was for ALC or LP). I am sorry to say that in spite of the fact that she is not well bred, I found Princesse much better looking. Is it such a bad thing , the trend towards "deer head" Chihuahuas?thinking
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 12:21pm PST 
Too hot a topic to handle or hashed to death?big grin
[notify]
Colton

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 12:33pm PST 
I prefer dogs to the correct breed standard as long as that standard does not interfere with their health, such as Bulldogs, Basset Hounds, Pekingese, Dachshunds, etc.
[notify]

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 2:19pm PST 
I've got to admit I like the "deer head" chihuahuas better than the breed standard "apple head" look. It's a lot less extreme and I think it's cuter. Plus I'm pretty sure it's healthier - less of a trend toward hydrocephalism, and I think the deer-headed chis are less likely to have problems from a molera (hole in the skull)? I wish the breed standard would change and/or more responsible breeders would breed them.

Personally I think we're too rigid about breed standards and closed studbooks and the like. I wish it was easier to change things when a change would be helpful for the dogs and their owners. Especially if there's no reason for what's happening except for the dog "looking right."
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 2:27pm PST 
I think the other factor to remember is that dogs winning shows aren't always bred "to type." Many standards have been exaggerated by breeders (think the slope-back GSD, big blocky Labs, extremely short-snouted Bulldogs, and so on) because, for whatever reason, that type wins shows. I'm not saying it's "right," but it's the truth.

But, to answer your real question, following standard is not my biggest concern, especially when health is being compromised. I love the look of my Basset Miles (besides his twisted front leg), and he's from what we assume to be a BYB or working breeder and not at all to conformation standards. My other Basset, Wiggles, was smaller and less loose-skinned and I loved his look as well.

I am all for outcrosses that improve the breed, like the controversial Pointer/Dalmatian project. I also know a breeder crossing English Pointers and GSPs and I find the dogs produced to be amazing; they fulfill the purpose the breed intended them to. I see nothing wrong with it so long as it's done responsibly. At the same time, this doesn't stop me from noticing and admiring a gorgeous dog when I see one!
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 2:53pm PST 
Given that my favorite breeds dont have a strict standard... i am not connected to "type-y" dogs... i prefer a dog who is able to do a job or who is structurally more sound or more healthy... unfortunately... many times that means avoiding "type-y" dogs which have really taken over breed shows.

To standard and dogs who win shows are often very different.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 3:03pm PST 
I say to heck with breed standard. I want a dog who can perform it's purpose optimally. Whether it's a herding dog who doesn't blow a hip in the fields or a chihuahua who doesn't blow a knee jumping off the couch. It sickens me how a good portion of the breed standard dogs don't look like they'd last 2 minutes against their real working counterparts.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 3:14pm PST 
Hmm.

I think dogs certainly need standardization, and a defined "type" to represent that they are, in fact, their own breed.

As others have said, its not the standard that ruins dogs, but rather the interpretation of said standard.

Or, I suppose I should say, the JUDGING of the standard. It isn't the breeders who are misinterpreting anything... its the judges. People breed what wins, and as long as low-riding GSDs, and Bassets who's skin drag to the floor are what's winning, then that's what we'll continue to see.
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 3:59pm PST 
I agree with Mulder (which seems to be happening often these days wink) Standards are important if we want to keep the breeds we love. I don't agree with every standard and I definitely don't like the way some breeds are being judged, but without standards all together, I wouldn't have the GSPs (or other breeds) that I adore so much.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 4:17pm PST 
Interesting points guys. Princesse's molera is closed, thank goodness. I worry a bit about her jumping but I don't think I could stop her. Her legs are a little spindly, but that other Chi's were worse and he was sort of rounded where she is long and lean. She has a foxy face and he reminded me of a close up of fly eyes.big grin Is it because of irresponsible breeders that "deer head " Chis exist? If I was going to breed them (which I wouldn't , knowing they are among the most common breeds in shelters) I would concentrate on health , temperment and less extremes in their looks.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7