GO!

DEWORMER

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Snowball- Brian

:D

Barked: Sun Jun 6, '10 8:46pm PST 
Hello Dogster!
My snowball just turned 6 last month and I was thinking that he hasnt been deworm since we picked him up from the breeder about 6 yrs ago. I am not a fan of chemical ingredients they use on these dewormers, i havent really ask the vet about it but we have an appointment this friday for his bi-annual physical exam (blood test, vaccines titer, vaccines). He is one healthy active boy and has been using revolution for preventive since forever, I dont take him to dog park much, but he has alot of contacts with other dogs at the daycare he goes to. They are all on preventives because thats one of the vet/daycare policy. I dont think he has worms because he hasnt change the way he eats, he doesnt go through garbages and never get a hold of dirty stuff and doesnt eat poop lol
My question is:
1. Do you have any bad experience with dewormers?
(intraceptor sp?) thats what Im thinking of giving
snowball.
2. Do you use it all year round? or just certain
seasons?
3. What will I expect after Ive given him the dewormer?
(change of personality, stool discolouration,
diarrhea, constipation, mucous, upset stomach,
lost of appetite??)
4. Will I really see actual worms in his stool??
5. And is there any signs would I know that if the product really works?

I wanted to ask these questions so when we go see our vet I kind of have a slight idea about products advantages and disadvantages.

Thank you very much for your time and help. Have a great week! take care all
[notify]
Amber

Amber Gorgeous

Barked: Sun Jun 6, '10 9:24pm PST 
1. Yes, I gave Marquis Interceptor when he had fleas about 8 months ago. He had pretty severe seizure and that is the last I used of it.
2. I would only use that kind of stuff during spring and summer months depending on where you live.
3. All I know is that I've seen Marquis have a seizure from Interceptor and I never want tos ee that again.
4. Most likely.
5. I have no idea. After the seizure Marquis was rushed to the emergency and given a medication to flush it from his system. The vet also gave him an herbal flea bath after that for me.

My vet advised me to use wormwood herb (we go to a holistic vet) and we haven't seen the slightest sign of parasites on either of our doggies.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 4:34am PST 
Has your dog been on heartworm preventative??? If not, you will need to have a blood test prior to giving interceptor as it will be a problem if he has heartworms.
Have a fecal check done... if it is negative, there is no need to give him a wormer!
[notify]

Jeremy

Eating- Endangered- Animals to- "Save" Them

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 4:54am PST 
I did give Jeremy Interceptor soon after adopting him from the animal shelter. He is normally very bouncy and entergetic but after giving the Interceptor he was very depressed and just wanted to lay around and do nothing. I took him off of it and returned the rest. I didn't like what it did to him. I would not recomend it for any dog. I'm thankful it wasn't more serious, but I don't want to take the chance. I too use Wormwood Herb. We have gone to a holistic vet for the last two years and she has put Jeremy on Wormwood Herb. We give it to him twice a year for 10 days at a time. The vet gives us a little bottle of it that has lasts for a year and is only $20. Every six months I give it to him for a 10 day period three times a day, 100 drops each time.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 6:42am PST 
Interceptor isn't a real dewormer. It is more of a preventative. If the dog has worms - diagnosed by a fecal exam, then he needs a dewormer like Panacur. It needs to be repeated in three weeks with another fecal test three weeks after that. A fecal is part of my dogs' annual exam. Moira had them biannually when she was eating things from the ground.

Interceptor kills developing worms - including heartworms. As Toto said, it is not started unless the dog has a clear HW test.

My dogs are on Interceptor year round. They have absolutlely no reaction to it. I like it because it gets in and does its job and leaves the body. Their fecals have been clear since being on Interceptor, which is great for worm infested rescues.
[notify]
Snowball- Brian

:D

Barked: Tue Jun 8, '10 7:58pm PST 
Thanks a bunch everyone!! I have decided to get a fecal exam on snowball and see the results first, I am now a little scared/worried about the interceptor idea. He is on revolution all year round and hopefully he does not need to be dewormed. I will definetly ask more questions on our vet appointment and i will add a fecal exam on him as well. Thanks so much!
[notify]