GO!

Well I have a choice to make

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cassie- 6/9/2000-10/- 14/2012

Feed me!!!

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 10:38am PST 
So two of my three dogs are therapy dogs. Now Delta Society has sent out an email stating that their new policy effective June 30 is that raw fed dogs may not participate in therapy visits because they shed more bacteria than kibble fed dogs. It's all stupid and shows the lack of understanding in the world about raw feeding. Cassie is a poop eater, always has been, we've tried everything to stop it and nothing works. But because she eats raw that means she is unsafe for the patients...yeah right. I figure I'll do what I do with my vet, what they don't know won't hurt them. But thought you would all like to know.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 11:07am PST 
wow. doing good for your dogs and for people at the same time is not allowed?

Don't guess you would consider breaking that rule, eh?

no, probably not.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 11:17am PST 
Ack. Ridiculous. I hope you'll present them with some facts about raw feeding, general health, and bacteria that illustrate the faulty reasoning that lead them to create the policy and encourage them to rethink their position based on science and real facts. Clearly someone has been misinformed and/or has been swayed by germophobic propaganda and a general "part of the herd" mentality.
[notify]

Zeppelin

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 11:27am PST 
I'd say you don't have to tell them anything, and if they ask, don't say you feed raw, say you feed "real". If it really comes down to it, tell them you boil the meat before serving. That way you don't have to say you're feeding kibble (ack) and they don't know because they aren't watching you feed your dogs.

I seriously cannot understand why so many people think kibble has been around forever! Seriously! What do these people think dogs ate before dry food was invented?! Ugh.

Edited by author Wed May 19, '10 11:27am PST

[notify]
Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 11:51am PST 
What about just lying about what you feed? How they hack are they going to know anyway? Just say you feed home-made (they don't have to know if it isn't cooked, and if they ask directly, one of the rare cases I would condone it, but flat out lie wink
[notify]
Kelly

I was born to- run

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 11:54am PST 
It's not raw, it's home PREPARED. wink
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 1:31pm PST 
Someone had a problem with this about a year ago - I think they said they fed home prepared food.
[notify]
Cassie- 6/9/2000-10/- 14/2012

Feed me!!!

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 1:32pm PST 
Yeah I'm just not telling them or am lying if they ask. Whatever...it's so funny that it's okay that she eats her own poop but a bit of raw meat is taboo. I know that the facility I visit would welcome me and my dogs credentials or not so I really don't care.
[notify]
Ruben

Named After- Ruben Studdard

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 1:33pm PST 
I just wouldn't tell them. You know you're doing good. We know you're doing good. Any dog owner with common sense knows you're doing good.
[notify]
Timmy

BALL, Throw the- BALL

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 1:45pm PST 
Wow Cassie, I'm in the same boat. Mom has been feeding me raw for years now. We just got our notice from Delta today. Our vet knows we do raw and is okay with it since I've been healthy all these years and he has to sign off on our health certification.

Mom would like to send Delta some studies to show that the possible transmission of pathogens such as salmonella are just as great from commercial fed dogs as they are from raw feeders. Apparently, they are worried because of all the salmonella contaminations on real protein products, i.e. the chews, sticks, and other uncooked meat products, in addition to regular diet.

Mom and I are going to drop out of Delta since she thinks my health is most important. She can continue to help Delta through fund raising and contributions, but just not do the visits. It makes her sad though because even Delta's studies from the medical advisory board state that pets are more likely to acquire harmful pathogens like MRSA from the sites than those who don't visit.

We sure are disappointed though.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2