GO!

Help! I'm bringing my puppy home tommorrow and she is 5 weeks!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Azula

If it can fit,- it must be bit

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 1:23pm PST 
Due to circumstances I can't mention the puppies are having to leave their mom earlier than expected. After reading up on puppy development and such I'm fearful of how Ocean may react to leaving so early. Is there any way that this puppy coming home so early can turn into a good thing?!thinking
[notify]

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 1:34pm PST 
I'd say keep in contact with her littermates owners so you guys can continue to socialize them since shes going to really need them to learn how to play correctly and stuff.
I'm sure someone will pop in and correct me though.
[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 1:42pm PST 
I would work on your pups ability to handle frustration. This is the biggest thing that I see in pups taken away from mom and litter mates too soon. They need to learn how to deal with frustration and calm themselves down. Also bite inhibition and rough play can be a problem. I had a foster that I got at 5 weeks, while not ideal, he made it through and is a great dog. However I have the most awesome foster sister available to help raise him and she taught him how to play nicely and really did more work than I did in raising him.

Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 2:12pm PST 
I don't see AB or GSD in your pup, plus neither breed have blue eyes. Have you seen the parents? Maybe Aussie, Huskey or Catahoula Leopard Dog in your pup. Or it may just be that his eyes havn't changed color yet (to brown), because all pups are born with blue eyes. The change can happen around 8wks or longer.

As for your question? You can raise a 5wk old pup into a welladjusted and properly mannered adult dog. It will depend more on you and your dog raising skills then said pup. I raised a 6wk old Pug pup and he was one of the best dogs we've ever had. Lots of info online to help you, including here on Dogster. However, if you have more specific questions please ask away and we'll do our best to help you. Here's a few tips to get you started.

- Start by getting your pup a very small crate.

- Crate him when you can't watch him every second.

- Take him outside every 20min's to half hour when out of his crate.

- Do not leave him in his crate more than 1hr to 2hrs in the day (for now). Listen for him stirring.

- Your pup is too young to be left alone all day, so stay with him, find a sitter or kennel him (at the vets). He needs constant care.

- Keep his crate in your room at night, by your bed so you can hear him (yes he may cry innitially sorry).

- No sleeping with mommy *until* pup is COMPLETELY potty trained. Or else he'll just pee in your bed.

- Let him out over night for a potty break *when he wakes up*, DO NOT wake him.

- Do not play with pup after his middle of the night potty break or else he will expect this FOREVERRRR.

- Keep him on a strict schedule, lots of routine. Just like a human baby.

- Building trust is the most important for your pup to bond with you and to also feel safe. NEVER yell at, hit or otherwise scold your pup for going potty in the house. If he does say, "Outside". Pick him up and take him out to the same spot EVERYTIME.

- If you do scold him or otherwise express anger or frustration your pup will only *sneak off* to pee behind the couch. In his mind he'll think peeing is bad, because it makes mommy mad, not peeing in the house. Get it?

- Remove the stain with Natures Miracle, it's the best.

- Keep in mind pups squat ALOT. You'll blink and miss it. So take him out ALOT.

- After waking, eating, and playing take him out. And inbetween.

- Plan on getting little to no sleep.

Hope some of this helps. I know you'll have more questions. He's adorable btw, have fun! And I'm SO jealous, craving puppy breath and soft pink puppy pads to kiss...................
[notify]
Azula

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 5:00pm PST 
Everytime I see the pups, The parents were around the house. The father is a full blooed american bulldog with 1 blue eye. The mother is a mix and looks pretty much exactly like a german shepard only smaller and a longer coat. She's the only one with 2 blue eyes still. The rest either have one bright eye and a brown one. Or two brown eyes. I get her tommorrow and I'm printing out your post and putting it beside my bed. Also my room mate is getting one of the puppies as well. Is that considered enough to learn how to not bite hard and a bit of socialization? When I'm not home she will be home, and when she's not home I will be home.
[notify]
Makaveli PSDIT

I Can Has Lovin'- Nao?

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 5:08pm PST 
I'm just curious, why were they taken away? did the mother reject the puppies? I don't like puppies being taken away so early, they miss out on so much. But under certain circumstances it is appropriate.
[notify]
Azula

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 5:32pm PST 
The mother and father dogs are a friend of mines. She currently lives with her grandparents. She is moving out really soon and can't bring any of the puppies. I have no idea where the other puppies who don't have homes are going yet, but my baby is definately coming home with me.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 5:45pm PST 
Kahuna had great advice, as usual.big grin I too raised a puppy from 5 weeks ( he was rescued from an abusive situation) . Oddly enough, I credit him having parvo for him turning out so well. confusedI really believe he understood that I wanted to help him and once he turned the corner health wise he wasn't afraid of anything anymoreshrug Maybe the fact that my son was 9 months old at the time helped with the littermate thing? I definately wouldnt recommend either parvo or 9 month old babies thoughshock
[notify]
kai

why are they not- all bowing?

Barked: Sat May 8, '10 6:24am PST 
I agree with all Kahunas suggestions too. We brought Kai home at 6 weeks. Same thing here luckily we had a great nanny in our older dog who helped out tremendously in teaching bite control and manners. Invest every possible waking moment in socialization and training from the start, so that later you have made great habits that you get to enjoy in the dog.
Oh and btw...Kais eyes were both blue till she was over 8 weeks and now she has 2 beautiful deep chocolate eyes, don't be dissapointed if they change.

(edited for the eye comment)

Edited by author Sat May 8, '10 6:27am PST

[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Sat May 8, '10 5:26pm PST 
Okay after a bit of research, I stand corrected. Brown eyes are preferred, but it's possible for an AB to have blue, grey or green eyes.

Thanx Bunny & Kai wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3