|Barked: Fri May 7, '10 2:12pm PST |
|I don't see AB or GSD in your pup, plus neither breed have blue eyes. Have you seen the parents? Maybe Aussie, Huskey or Catahoula Leopard Dog in your pup. Or it may just be that his eyes havn't changed color yet (to brown), because all pups are born with blue eyes. The change can happen around 8wks or longer.
As for your question? You can raise a 5wk old pup into a welladjusted and properly mannered adult dog. It will depend more on you and your dog raising skills then said pup. I raised a 6wk old Pug pup and he was one of the best dogs we've ever had. Lots of info online to help you, including here on Dogster. However, if you have more specific questions please ask away and we'll do our best to help you. Here's a few tips to get you started.
- Start by getting your pup a very small crate.
- Crate him when you can't watch him every second.
- Take him outside every 20min's to half hour when out of his crate.
- Do not leave him in his crate more than 1hr to 2hrs in the day (for now). Listen for him stirring.
- Your pup is too young to be left alone all day, so stay with him, find a sitter or kennel him (at the vets). He needs constant care.
- Keep his crate in your room at night, by your bed so you can hear him (yes he may cry innitially sorry).
- No sleeping with mommy *until* pup is COMPLETELY potty trained. Or else he'll just pee in your bed.
- Let him out over night for a potty break *when he wakes up*, DO NOT wake him.
- Do not play with pup after his middle of the night potty break or else he will expect this FOREVERRRR.
- Keep him on a strict schedule, lots of routine. Just like a human baby.
- Building trust is the most important for your pup to bond with you and to also feel safe. NEVER yell at, hit or otherwise scold your pup for going potty in the house. If he does say, "Outside". Pick him up and take him out to the same spot EVERYTIME.
- If you do scold him or otherwise express anger or frustration your pup will only *sneak off* to pee behind the couch. In his mind he'll think peeing is bad, because it makes mommy mad, not peeing in the house. Get it?
- Remove the stain with Natures Miracle, it's the best.
- Keep in mind pups squat ALOT. You'll blink and miss it. So take him out ALOT.
- After waking, eating, and playing take him out. And inbetween.
- Plan on getting little to no sleep.
Hope some of this helps. I know you'll have more questions. He's adorable btw, have fun! And I'm SO jealous, craving puppy breath and soft pink puppy pads to kiss...................
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|