GO!

Vaccination

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Max

Barked: Mon Apr 19, '10 12:38pm PST 
please dont hate me if this has been asked smile but i heard some people dont get their dogs vaccinated b/c the vaccines might be dangerous or make the pups ill or worse..
[notify]
Cherry

I'm a Woof Woo

Barked: Mon Apr 19, '10 3:37pm PST 
If your pup goes outside at all you can risk he or she contracting a lot of disease's including parvo. Not only dangerous but CAN be deadly. I have read here that some owners don't always get all at once when they are puppys. For example when Cherry started her shots they did three i think in one day( i'd have to check her vaccine chart to be certain) and someone here told me that if she had a bad reaction I wouldn't know which of the three caused it. It made perfect sense. But at that point was too late. Something I never thought of. Fortunately for Cherry she finished all her shots and didn't seem to have any serious negative reactions. I can't see not vaccinating at all , if you license your pet atleast here in california they have to have there shots.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Apr 19, '10 4:43pm PST 
Vaccines, as with ANY OTHER similar medical item, carry risks. There is no such thing as "no-risk" when it comes to vaccines, medicines, treatments, etc.

As long as your vet is spreading out your pup's vaccinations (2 weeks bare minimum, preferably at least three), giving rabies especially as a separate shot, etc, then your risk of adverse reactions is minimalized.

There are other vaccines which are more controversial (leptospirosis, lyme, to name two) but the standard puppy shots should be given unless you have a medical reason not to do so.
[notify]