GO!

The perceptions towards those who are low income dog owners...

Are you a fan of Dogster? Share what you love best about the most pawsome dog site ever! We woof you right back!

If you would like to request a new feature or enhancement for the site, please contact Dogster Support by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster.

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Oliver- Lambchop- Loeser

Cuddle ME!!

Barked: Fri Apr 16, '10 7:49am PST 
I've noticed sometimes there is the attitude that if one is low income they shouldn't own a dog. I find this very upsetting, because one's income doesn't mean that they wouldn't be a good dog owner, and they don't care about their animal. I happen to be teetering on being low-income, and I treat my dog as he is my son.

Edited by moderator Fri Apr 16, '10 11:09am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Echo

mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Apr 16, '10 9:21am PST 
It is more like an ignorance or an unwillingness to think about other peoples lifestyles. But I do agree on your point.
I used to be very low income when I was putting myself through college and I got a dog on a whim. Yes, not the best way to get a dog, and not something that I would ever do again. But I had the dog and I treated him the best I could on my income. That even included feeding him "bad" dog food.
I don't believe I was or am a bad dog owner just because I couldn't afford a quality kibble. My income now isn't the greatest in the world, but now I can afford a better dog food and I'm happy I can do that now. It doesn't mean I have the right to bash those who can't afford better food, on the contrary, I can understand where they're coming from.
I also highly disagree with the notion that if someone can't afford this or that for their dog then they shouldn't own one, that's just wrong.
It's kinda scary admitting to all the "horrible" things I'm saying here on dogster! I feel as if I'm about to be bashed!shocksilenced Maybe I should just pretend I've always fed the best kibble in the world to my dogs!laugh out loud Naw, that would be just as wrong as bashing those who feed "lower" quality kibble!red face

Edited by moderator Fri Apr 16, '10 11:12am PST

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Apr 16, '10 11:07am PST 
I wish all the posters would always assume the best intentions in these forums and not bash people who are obviously (or even not so obviously) doing the best they can. The problem could be lack of education - so help them educate themselves!

Or income issues - so sympathize and offer what advice you can!

I have seen several posters go in full attack, because they make assumptions based on unclear statements by another poster or their lack of understanding.

Take a minute and consider if you are being helpful - or at least doing no harm!

(and OP? real sorry that you have gotten this impression. I know your dog must be a comfort to you, and trust you are doing your very best for them.)

Edited by moderator Fri Apr 16, '10 11:14am PST

Minster Jr.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Barked: Fri Apr 16, '10 4:19pm PST 
Bashing on Dogster is not nice...We are here to enjoy ourselves and not make judgements against others...If you can't say anything nice don't say it at all...Folks are here in the forums for help not to be critized...You have not walked in thier steps so therefore you can not judge a person. Now me will be quiet...
[notify]
Lylah

The harder I wag- the more friends- I have

Barked: Fri Apr 16, '10 6:01pm PST 
As a general rule, money doesn't reveal anything of much importance about a person's character or values. I've met poor people that shop at nicer places for their dog, and always pay the dog's bills first before even thinking of buying things that aren't necessary for themselves. And I've met rich people who don't train their dog, hit the dog, and feed the worst food imaginable.

Our hearts dictate how well cared for our dogs are, not our wallets. wink
[notify]
Bailee

Here\'s my Wubba- - now play with- me!!

Barked: Fri Apr 16, '10 7:37pm PST 
I'm with Savannah, I've seen way too many people "bash" others if they don't do certain things or have certain things for their dog(s). In fact, I've seen quite a few unhelpful and insulting comments, with little or no advice or support given. I've stepped in and said something a few times but I've found that sometimes it's just too stressful because it really upsets me to see people truly come here looking for advice and get trashed instead. It's why I stalk far more than I post, though I hardly even stalk anymore. I could rant for a good hour on this subject. And you're right, Savannah, people jump to conclusions, don't read the entire post, and react to things that aren't even written or that they assume about the person/situation.

Edited by moderator Sat Apr 17, '10 8:55am PST

Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 9:15am PST 
Lower incomes don't necessarily mean that people are inadequate in caring for their own. Many of my friends make a LOT more money than I do but are really struggling financially because they weren't so wise about how they save and use their money. I have a friend who makes over $100,000 a year and can barely pay his bills, I make a little over a quarter of that and have been able to build up a good savings. I also have another friend who makes close to 6 figures, but can't find the money to fix her dog's knee problems. Living within your means and providing the best you can means more than a number.

I don't make a lot of money in my profession and can't afford a lot of the extras for me OR the furbabies, so my dogs don't have the luxury of me owning my own house, or a large backyard, or expensive classes, or doggie daycare...but ask anyone who knows them and I stay within my means and have two incredibly happy, well-trained, healthy dogs, who also have a savings account that I've been building for almost 7 years. I put a little bit in with each paycheck, and it's really added up so I don't have to worry about emergencies. Sure, there are people out there who would say I shouldn't have them because I can't afford "x" or "y", but anyone who knows me and knows my dogs will tell you that they're well-adjusted and it's clear they have everything they need.

In fact, Gretta lived with some VERY rich people before I took her in, but was a miserable little puppy despite having the training classes, the yard, the people home all day, etc. What she needed more than stuff was an owner who could physically deal with her high-energy needs. While at that time I was really not making a lot of money, I could provide something that cash could not--daily runs, hikes, roller blading excursions, etc.

Love and basic financial savvy goes a lot further than a big yearly income. Sadly, there will always be people out there looking for someone to condemn and judge. Honestly, I think some people need to feel like a "better" person than others to validate their own position in the world. I feel very lucky that I'm secure enough psychologically in my own life situation that I don't need to do that to others. I think all you can do when you're on the receiving end of judging is hold your head up, smile, and know that there are things much more important than income in determining who makes a good dog owner, and a generally positive outlook on life is one of those!

Edited by author Sat Apr 17, '10 9:16am PST

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 1:47pm PST 
When we got Bunny we were literally having a hard time to feed ourselves. I am talking using the food bank. We fell in love with him and could not bear to let him go. Yes, he ate crappy food for the first while but he got lots of love and excercise and as much training as I knew how to give him. I even found the money to get him his shots and have him neutered. My biggest worry was him getting sick. Thankfully that did not happen. Should we have denied him a happy home and us a wonderful dog because of things that *might * have happened?
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 2:36pm PST 
I have less than $8,000 per year after taxes to work with, but my animals are treated and fed extremely well, they eat worlds better than I do and get way more care from a doctor than I. I save money on things that aren't important, like not going out to eat all the time and not buying things I really don't need. It's not fun but rescue and feeding my pets quality diets are more important to me than designer clothes or possessions. Meanwhile, I know of people who make three times as much as I do, and their animals are fed some of the worst foods while they spend their money on luxury items. This isn't always the case of course, but income doesn't always mean someone neglects their pets' care in any way or that they don't feed high quality diets.
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Sat Apr 17, '10 7:38pm PST 
Unemployment is hitting everyone these days. GM going under took my hubby's pension away. He was with them 30 years and told to leave in 2007 when Delphi went under. I am disabled and that is below poverty level in Mississippi. He had a 32 hour a week low paying job--and was laid off right before Christmas and then denied unemployment. He recently--finally got a fairly good job--and we thank God each day for it. We have an ok house with a nice yard, and 3 dogs. We've struggled to keep it. It is a big struggle, and we realize we are a long way from recovering. I love my dogs--they now eat Blue Buffalo food, as when I sat down and did the math--I was spending $60.00 a month for trashy canned food for the 2 little ones, and when Sallie Mae started vomiting lots--all the time, we had to change her food. It was not easy financilly--but when the other 2 showed interest in her food and totally stopped wanting their own, I realized that I could actually save this way. If my story was told--I am sure people would criticize me for getting Sallie Mae, without lots of money saved up for emergency vet care if needed. I had 2 dogs, so why take on the 3rd? She has helped me much more than what she costs me. I am recovering from cancer and she has saved my life. They get quality care, sleep in our bed each night, and are the reason I exercise daily. I've had to ask the vet to hold a check until payday--but they always get the care they need. You do what you have to in this life, and should not be criticized for that. As long as your dogs are loved and taken care of--it is nobody's business what you have in the bank. A way has always been provided for us--even when we were too blind to realize it. I think if you do right by your animals and other people--God provides a way, somehow. It may not mean that we have what we want to eat each day, or new clothes all the time--but I am HAPPY!! I love it when my dogs are snug next to us, and snoring next to us at night. I know in my heart that we do right by them, and they are satisfied. I really wish we would find ways to economize--and bring each other up, instead of jumping to conclusions. I've never shared any of our problems here, but decided that I would, to let others know that they are not alone. I've been ugly on Dogster before--but not because of money. If I feel that a dog is not getting the care it needs--I have spoken up. Lately, I've stopped that, and asked myself if anything good could come out of what I say--and if the answer in my heart is no--I try not to respond. Money is just not everything to me--good friends and dogs that think the world of me is!!hailhailhailhailhailhailhailhailhailhail
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10