GO!

Collapsed Trachea and Neutering

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rickards

I'll always love- you...

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 3:14pm PST 
Hey all,

This summer my family and I are headed to my moms house and I've finally decided I want to get Rickards Neutered. I want to get him neutered for a few reasons, mainly, I'm hoping it will help with his marking, because my mom also has two male neutered dogs an Olde English Bulldogge and a 10yrs old Jack Russel Terrier. I'm afraid Rickards will try to put his scent everywhere those dogs have been.
However, I'm really scared. The vet told me Rickards most likely has a collapsed trachea, because there was no infection causing his wheezing and considering how he was kept- outside on a leash with a collar that was at least 2 sizes to small it was even more likely. He does have a slight breathing issue. He does run and play, but you can hear a hoarse sound when hes tired (he gets tired pretty fast) and he snores loudly when he sleeps.
Because of this I've been scared putting him to sleep for surgery could hurt him. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this?

Thanks smile
[notify]
Hilda, CGC

Hilda, Diva- Extraordinary

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 5:14pm PST 
That is probably the safest time while he is under anesthesia since he will be intubated and that tube will prevent his trachea from collapsing while he is out.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 7:15pm PST 
Probably won't help too much with marking - it's likely already a learned behavior at this point, and will still continue. But if you're planning on getting him neutered, may as well do it during a needed surgery. The fewer times he has to go under anesthesia, the better.
[notify]

Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Wed Mar 10, '10 11:00am PST 
I agree that it should be done while he's already under anesthesia. As far as the marking goes, you will have to do training as well because neutering alone won't cure it and if it's set in may not even help that much, depending on the individual dog. Neutering is great for things such as preventing or curing BPH and associated problems, greatly reducing the risk of perianal fistulas, and of course prevents your dog from creating unwanted litters; however, it isn't a magic cure for behavior problems. I would suggest crating him when you are away, and investing in one of those "male wraps" when he's not being crated so at least you can save areas from urine damage. Implement NILF with him if you don't already, it can't hurt.

Edited by author Wed Mar 10, '10 11:01am PST

[notify]
Rickards

I'll always love- you...

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 4:51pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

While I appreciate the time you guys took to respond, I'm already well aware of the things mentioned (we do crate, we do have belly bands, we do know the benefits of neutering) smile

I would also rather not postpone this any longer. I'm hoping he will never need any other surgeries *fingers crossed* so I might as well do it now. Plus Rickards goes beserk around females (he is ALWAYS on a leash outside my house), but he stops listening the instant on is around. I'm hoping the neutering helps with that too. I know *sometimes* neutering can help with marking so its worth a try to me.

Sorry for not explaining myself clearer, I'm not really asking for training tips as it isn't an indoor issue (he just stops every 5 sec on walks to mark which is annoying) smile I'm just worried about him being put under, because he does have breathing problems so I'm worried while he is under there could be complications.

I guess I'll just ask the vet, thanks again everyonesmilebig grin

Edited by author Thu Mar 11, '10 5:03pm PST

[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 6:35pm PST 
Neutering can help make him more attentive when there are intact females around. But be warned that a female in heat may still interest any young adult or pubescent dog regardless of reproductive status. Some are just more extreme about their interest than others.
[notify]
George

Mommy's Little- Velcro Dog

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 6:46pm PST 
I was just neutered about a month ago and I have a collapsing trachea...which wasn't discovered until I was under anesthesia as I am a rescue and was showing no signs (but they only had me for 2 days prior to neutering). Everything went uneventful although now it is apparent after excitement/exercise that I definitely have a collapsing trachea....but we do not think the neutering added to it or made it worse, I just run around a lot more now as I am more relaxed and happy in my foster home.
[notify]
Lantis

I love small- dogs..

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 6:53pm PST 
Rickards.. not sure if it's helpful but Lantis was altered at 6 mths old, hardly before he even knew what marking was, and for the next 11 and a half years he's still been stopping every 6 seconds to mark outdoors.. bol.

He'll also try his hardest to mark someplace even if it's obvious his tank is empty... silenced

Edited by author Thu Mar 11, '10 6:53pm PST

[notify]
Rickards

I'll always love- you...

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 6:58pm PST 
Thanks Daddy, Rickards is just like that with any female, doesn't matter if they are spayed, intact and not in heat or in heat. He just goes goofy lol.

Thank you Georgie for sharing your experience. We consider Rickards a rescue because of the situation we got him from. He was in bad shape. His past owner told us it was just reverse sneeze, but we knew better. He is very wheezy- worse when running, he snores at night and he does have fits that are sort of like reverse sneezing. I'm glad to hear that your dogs surgery went well that actually does make me feel better.

I guess I'm just going to go with it and make an appointment. It has been a huge responsibilty having an unaltered dog and as careful as I am with him, I just no longer want to stress about it. As we have seen time and time again everywhere even the most responsible owner can have an 'oops'. I just don't want that to ever happen, because it goes against everything I believe in.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared though hehe. I'm just hoping my little puff ball does alright.

Thanks again everyone smile

edited to reply to Lantis

LOL, well at least its not in the house right?! LOL For that I'm grateful, but jeez is it really necessary guys!

Edited by author Thu Mar 11, '10 6:59pm PST

[notify]
George

Mommy's Little- Velcro Dog

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 6:58pm PST 
One thing to remember is dogs communicate through their urine...Hello, Goodbye, I was here blah blah blah smile BOL So some dogs are 'chattier' than others no matter what age they were neutered. Although I must say that neutering quieted my inner voice a little I still like to tell everyone my life story though...just not as frequently.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2