GO!

Runny stool

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dusty

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 10:47am PST 
Hello, I have started raw diet since Mar.1 on my new puppy. and he has runny stool since then. He is about 40lb and I gave him chicken leg quater about 1 lb and half a day with yogurt.
I saw firm stool once but after that just runny stool. I aded caned pumpkin since Sunday. Stool firm up like apple source. but i still have problem.
I really dont know what to do next. and I'm not sure if it is safe for my puppy to have runny stool for so long. I hope somebody willl be able to give me some advice.
Thank you.
[notify]
Romeo

Everyones little- Romeo

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 10:51am PST 
Some dogs don't take to it very well.. you could just tough it out and see if it firms out at a later date when your doggies body is more familiar with the raw diet but also keep in mind that a raw diet is not for all dogs.

If you have already tried yogurt and Pumpkin I am stumped. lol those are the only remedies I know for runny stool unless it is actual dehydration in which I have always just added a bit of pedialite to the water to give them more electrolytes.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 10:57am PST 
It takes time. Charlie still does not have consistent stool and he's in his 4th week of raw. There's an initial time to give the body to detox, and then time for it to get used to new sources of protein and such. Recently, I've been giving him probiotics which have helped a ton. He also gets a bit more bone (closer to 20-25% of the ratio) since that seems to be the only thing that solidifies it. He also ate way too much off his whole prey yesterday and had MAD diarrhea this morning, so make sure your pup is getting the right amount of food.

Edit: Forgot to mention that taking the skin off the chicken helped Charlie a lot if you're not already doing that.

Edited by author Tue Mar 9, '10 11:00am PST

[notify]

Moose

My master is- good and smart- (up movie)

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 10:58am PST 
Ditch the yogurt and the pumpkin, they are not part of a prey model diet and won't help you get to the root of what is going on. Is your chicken enhanced? This can cause runny stool and quarters are notorious for being enhanced. If it says enhanced with 15% solution, then you need to find something unhanced, because this causes diarrhea in many dogs.

What is your pup's projected adult weight? You might be feeding too much. Runny stool is not harmful, just annoying and all it means is the diet needs some tweaking. There is a difference between runny stool and have-accidents-in-the-house diarrhea. Which one does your pup have?

As charlie mentioned, removing skin for a while helps. I usually remove any big wads of loose skin... fat is essential but some dogs have trouble with it early on.

Edited by author Tue Mar 9, '10 11:09am PST

[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 12:04pm PST 
I would stop the Yogurt and the Pumpkin, pumpkin isn't a cure, it's a cover. It wont fix anything, If your worried pick up some slippery elm bark it will line the GI tract to help heal anythign that might be going on down there.

Yogurt can cause diarreha. Feed just chicken for 1-2weeks straight. You can have bone in and boneless meals during it, but keep it chicken. I'm sure you'll see a difference then.
[notify]
Sakuraӌ- 8;桜

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 12:52pm PST 
Romeo,Charlie,Moose &Chloe, Thank you for your advice.

I will try to give him more bone. and I will stop pumpkin & yogurt and see.
Chicken that i have feeding is not enhanced.
Yes, I took skin and fat off.
My pup is GSD so he will be about 80Lb .
He never had accident in the house.
I will try to give slippery elm bark .

Wish me luck! Thank you so much guys!
[notify]
Moose

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 1:02pm PST 
Also, you may already know this - but if he is a pup, he should eat 2x-3x per day...
[notify]
Byron

Bridge Angel - always loved

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 1:06pm PST 
Pumpkin isn't a cover, it's a source of fiber - good for both loose stool and constipation. IMO it's important to get the diarrhea resolved until/while you are figuring out the root problem. Diarrhea shouldn't be a result of raw for more than a few days.

It could be that your pup is one of the few sensitive to chicken. Try turkey or another protein (be sure it does not contain a "solution to enhance flavor"). You're already feeding enough bone, which is a poop hardener. The probiotics in yogurt are weak - you can try adding a probiotic capsule. Get one that has multiple enzymes in it, not just acidopholus. You can find it at a vitamin store.

Cut out fat and don't feed organ for now - both loosen stool. Make sure you're not feeding too much (hard to determine at the beginning, though).

Those are the diarrhea causes that I know. Byron had lots of diarrhea issues due to other health problems.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 1:32pm PST 
"Pumpkin isn't a cover, it's a source of fiber "

Pumpkin isn't going to solve loose stools, Once you stop using it, The loose stools will come back (unless you tweak the diet to fix it) I see pumpkin the same way I see rice. Just a stool firmer and not needed in diet. Loose stool or not.
[notify]
Moose

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 1:32pm PST 
There is a difference between loose stool and diarrhea. Diarrhea usually indicates something else, bacterial, etc is going on. Loose stool means the diet needs tweaking, whether it's a different protein, more bone, etc.

I don't believe pumpkin is part of a prey model diet. It is a generally indigestible fiber in a tummy that's already complaining about something. It is a human solution. It's one of those things that's been around forever so it is generally accepted, but when you think about it, why would you put vegetable fiber into a dog's gut, what does that accomplish that tweaking the diet or fasting wouldn't?

Edited by author Tue Mar 9, '10 1:33pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2