GO!

Thoughts and opinions on Aunt Jeni's Homemade?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nubi CGC, SD

Hi, my name is- [Squirrel!] ...- uh. Nubi.

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 10:40am PST 
Made in Maryland. Looks really good. www.auntjeni.com. Just want some opinions. Pros and cons. Price NOT being a con. Cuz that doesn't matter.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 11:00am PST 
I think this is the brand I bought for my cat to try. He didn't like it, but he's also very old and picky laugh out loud. The ingredients are very nice to a BARF diet.

If you don't mind me asking, are you from Maryland also?
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 11:09am PST 
Maryland, My Maryland!

Knee deep in mud just now, aren't we?
[notify]

Nubi CGC, SD

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 11:23am PST 
Not from Maryland. Any more opinions greatly appreciated, Pros and Cons. Thanks.
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 11:42am PST 
When we got it, it was very green-- lots of veggies it seemed. Personally I'd use something with fewer veggies as I don't believe they are necessary. But other than the veggie content it seems OK.
[notify]
Nubi CGC, SD

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 11:56am PST 
Actually, it's green because it has powdered organic kelp and alfalfa. For example, Dr. Harvey's Vitamin and Herb supplement makes food turn a strong green color because of the herbs. I think they use a lot less veggies than most BARF products out there.
[notify]
Butters

~7lbs. of- spoiled rotten~

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 12:03pm PST 
I've never used it, but I looked at the ingredients listings...

I'm not too fond of feeding veggies to the pups, but that's just me. I will never shun or try to tell someone not to. I feel that prey model is most appropriate for the dogs and kitties both. But in my opinion, most of the mixes they have are high in veggies. The only ones I would consider if I wanted to go the premade route would be the Turkey mixture for the kitties as it's a 90:10 of meat, organs, bone to veggies and such. But that's just my opinion.

Overall, it's not a bad diet at all and I like how everything is farm raised and fresh.
[notify]
Gracie- CGC/TDI

Dependable- Running Partner

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 12:31pm PST 
We love Aunt Jeni's. Fortunately, we live close enough to be able to have it shipped from Maryland at a reasonable cost.

I like that Aunt Jeni's sources their meat from non-medicated animals. I know a that veggies aren't necessarily good for dogs, but for whatever reason, Gracie does really well on Aunt Jeni's. Nature's Variety seems to have too much bone. Even though we only feed pre-made in the morning and feed prey model at night, I notice a difference.

Our kitty is on Aunt Jeni's rabbit diet and loves it.
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 12:49pm PST 
I have used some of her treats. The ostrich medley and the dogitos, which are dehydrated lamb, beef, or goat lungs. The dogitos are a big hit. The ostrich, not so much as it's heavily smoked. The dehydrated rabbit ears are one of Brody's favorites.

Haven't tried her frozen pre-made. However, you have to buy 10 tubs at a time. That would be a big negative for me. I wouldn't want to buy 10 tubs of it until I knew that the dog liked it. I would definitely give it a try if I could buy ONE tub.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 12:53pm PST 
I just looked to see where I might buy some to try it. Treats anyway. But even though I am in Md. it isn't any easier to get. The only store I could find was in Solomons which is on the other side of the bay from us. As the crow flies it isn't far, but I would have to drive most of the way around as the Bay Bridge is way north of us and of them.

Sooooo...considering all the veggies and the 10 tub requirement, I'll take a pass.

Edited by author Thu Mar 4, '10 12:54pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2