GO!

What would YOU like to see your vet promote/carry?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Spot

Boomer Did It

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 3:35pm PST 
I'm just wondering here.... and please give me your reasons THANKS!!way to go
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 3:42pm PST 
Well anything that is healthy bol!!!! Something like Orijen, wellness or even Natural Balance!!!! IF they promoted foods like these then I think more people would know more about pet foods and what makes a food healthy and what does not.
[notify]
Spot

Boomer Did It

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 3:51pm PST 
I may have an opportunity at work (a vet's office) regarding food. I'm very excited about this possible opportunity. We are carrying certain 'specialty' brands right now, such as TOTW, EVO, Cal Nat. but no one (except me) knows anything about them. I must admit, I know very little. We do carry Nat. Balance as our Hypo Allergenic diet.

My interest began because my dog, Spot, developed food allergies. Since then, I've been doing a little research on food. I would like any information ya'll have on why certain specialty brands and not others.

I would also like to point out that I'm not wanting a Hills bashing session because after much research, I do believe that Hills does have a place in the food world for some pets although it probably won't be on my top ten list of first recommendations for any general feedings.
[notify]

Sara

Lets Eat

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 3:52pm PST 
Anything thats not Science Diet would be a refreshing change. Luckily my vet doesn't push it on us, he pointed it out as an option, but nothing more. I wouldnt mind bein able to buy our Evo there though.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 3:57pm PST 
I highly doubt that its going to happen unless the vets are willing to do their own research on the side. Something to keep in mind is that sick animals keep vets in business. Crappy food= sick pets=more profit for the vets and dog food companies.
[notify]
Colt

We were born- for this!

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 4:02pm PST 
Blue Buffalo. They have grain-free, grain-inclusive, and LID foods. It's a little expensive, but compared to the price and quality of the products vets usually sell, it's a pretty good price.

As far as prescription diets, I'm still a little confused. I hear arguments from all different angles that all make perfect sense. I'm off to do some research.
[notify]
Spot

Boomer Did It

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 4:10pm PST 
Wow Uno, that's really cynical! lol. I can certainly understand your point though. Actually, like I posted before, this is post is in anticipation that I may have an opportunity to develop a food 'education' part of our clinic. Even if it is just me. We rarely push products/food/meds on our clients unless necessary. Maybe we are lucky that we have 3 vets that are truly interested in the health and well being of our pets?

They don't recommend unnecessary procedures and clients always know that they are free to decline anything at all, or ask questions until they are confident they can make a good informed decision. Lately, we've gotten questions on "what's the best food for my pet" and our vets don't have a good answer with all the new/different brands on the market. I've done some reseach on this and they've also noticed that SD has gotten many negative reviews.

This has made them re-evaluate our 'food department' or lack of one with real education behind it. If I am given the opportunity, they would like me to lay out the pros/cons of each food and then they would make decisions on what should be carried.

Please don't think all vet clinics are in it for the money. You'll overlook some great vets that way.
[notify]
Tess

Raw-fed and- loving it!

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 4:21pm PST 
I'd LOVE to see my vet promote raw! (Never, ever gonna happen.)

I'd like to see my vet carry any of the following:
Orijen
Innova
EVO
Taste of the Wild
Wellness
Solid Gold
Natural Balance
Merrick
Blue Buffalo
Acana
Karma Organic
Ziwipeak
Canidae

(Again, probably not going to happen. My vet carries SD and Royal Canin. One thing I am happy about with me vet, however, is that he NEVER pushes one specific brand of food. He was not thrilled initially about me feeding the raw diet, but admitted that he didn't know much about it and as long as I did my research and felt comfortable with it, he would be okay with it. His opinion changed even further when he last saw Sully... he could NOT believe how amazing he looked and encouraged me to keep feeding raw because "it's obviously working perfectly for him!" Score!)
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 5:21pm PST 
At least NB, or some of the other foods that have limited ingred for special needs dogs instead of yucky hills's prescript diet.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Feb 26, '10 6:17pm PST 
My vet lists on her website she can't afford to stock products she would recommend, so she does not sell food. I like this vet, she is more interested in the health of the dogs over the profits.

I don't see a reason for my vet to carry food I would buy. I only go there once a year and there's 2 feed supply stores that are close to my house. One is on the way to the vet.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5