GO!

alternatives to rawhide

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Cosmopolitan

Cosmo- I love to give- kisses!!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 2:40pm PST 
what are good, less dangerous alternatives to rawhide bones? we have 2 major chewers, but i know rawhide can be dangerous sometimes...
[notify]
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 2:45pm PST 
Hiwave I asked this a while back and heard that nylabones are good. I use one and sweet potato chews. Bully sticks are another good option.
[notify]
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 2:52pm PST 
Bully Sticks! Deer Antlers! Yummy stuff....cheercheercheercheer
[notify]

Rosco

"world class- cuddle bug"

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 3:04pm PST 
We are HUGE fans of BullySticks in our house. Rosco is a big time chewer and he goes though a 12 inch straight bully in about 3 or 4 hours. I get him the braided ones now and those last a couple of days. Bella takes a few days with a 6 inch Bully, but Rosco usually steals it and finishes it off for her after a couple days.

We found Merrick straight Bully Sticks at Wal-Mart 6 inches for $3 and 12 inches for $5.50 They also sell all kinds of them at Petco. The place with the best price that I found is our local feed store. They also have an awesome variety. Then of course you could order them online.

Good luck and happy chewing!!
[notify]
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 4:25pm PST 
Rosco- that is a good deal. The Merrick's bully sticks (6 inch) run $5 over here and at that they are not available at Wal-Mart.
I agree, bully sticks are really good!!!cheercheercheer
[notify]
Sara

Lets Eat

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 5:40pm PST 
Sara's favorite's are the nylabones and the deer antlers. She loved her bully stick, but it didnt even last 20 min in her teeth.
[notify]
Hoover SDIT

you call this- work?!

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 6:00pm PST 
Our pups are only allowed to chew Nylabones. As long as you get the right size and durability, they are very safe.
[notify]
Ace

mommy's guardian

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 6:10pm PST 
we buy raw ham bones(?) from the store. They still have a little of meat on them and our dogs love them. Once they get them cleaned out, which they will, we fill them with peaunut butter and freeze them. They work awesome for chewing. Okay checked the package and it says the are beef soup bones. We get 4 packs of them for around 1.00-2.00. Much cheaper and healthier than rawhide.
[notify]
Rosco

"world class- cuddle bug"

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 6:42pm PST 
mmmm, that sounds good Ace. Do your pawrents have to ask the butcher for them or are they in the meat section? I want to try one for Rosco.
[notify]
Ace

mommy's guardian

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 7:16pm PST 
we get them at the comminsary on Ft. Carson, they have them out with the beef ribs. I have got them at walmart before. I would ask them if they can get them for you. I know my dad gets them from walmart to actually use in soup.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3